Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC: 1 drive or 2?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

I am trying to figure how to set up a new W7 Pro 64 machine I built.

I have the OS installed on a 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD (from the previous PC) for data.

Question: is it advisable to install all the remaining software on the HDD and leave only the OS on the SSD?

I have read it is better to have a swap partition on a separate drive. If this is the case I would need three partitions:

- swap

- software

- data

1TB drive looks too small to do that, maybe I should add a second 1TB HDD and have:

- drive #1 (swap; software)

- drive #2 (data)

Does this make any sense? Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

Well, you can install the OS on the SSD, and then when you come to installing other software, you can choose a folder on the HDD to install to. Also, I don't think you need a swap partition in Windows, that's only for Linux. 1 TB is a big number, so you can have everything besides the OS on the HDD.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

I see no value in ever separating installed programs from Windows...one without the other is useless, since the registry entries needed by any progrzm...are on the Windows partition.  The SSD is more than large enough for this.

As for partitioning...bear in mind that running chkdsk /r and/or defrag...on a 1TB partition...will take an exceptionally long period of time.  This can be avoided by making several partitions on the very large hard drive...or simply creating partitions on that drive as needed for data file storage.

Louis

#4 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:23 AM

you can use on current way which are using drive 1 OS

drive 2 setup data application.

But to run program smoothly and no interface or compatability issue you need to install application and OS on same windows

#5 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

Thanks to all for replying.

Also, I don't think you need a swap partition in Windows, that's only for Linux

Oops, my mistake, I have been on Linux for the past 6 months ;)
What I meant was a partition on the HDD, dedicated to Windows pagefile only.
It seems to be a good idea to set a small pagefile on the system drive and place the "big" pagefile on a separate drive.

I see no value in ever separating installed programs from Windows...one without the other is useless, since the registry entries needed by any progrzm...are on the Windows partition

On my previous machine with no SSD I had OS and programs on the same partition (100GB).
I thought that on SSD it could have been better the other way, stresswise.

The SSD is more than large enough for this

Uhm... I am not 100% sure. The 100GB partition I mentioned before was almost full as far as I remember.

@reckonankit
Sorry, I didn't get your point.
Forget the "drive numbers" of my first post, right now I have:

- drive#1 SSD (OS + programs)* + drive#2 HDD (data)

* : I have only the OS on this drive right now, no application installed yet.

Since I have read that it is a good practice to move the Windows pagefile to a separate drive I can follow two paths:
- drive#1 SSD (OS) + drive#2 HDD (3 partitions: pagefile + programs + data)

or to add a second HDD:

- drive#1 SSD (OS) + drive#2 HDD (2 partitions: pagefile + programs) + drive#3 HDD (data)

I was asking which path to follow.
hamluis suggests a third way:

- drive#1 SSD (OS + programs) + drive#2 HDD ((partitioned?) data).
He didn't mention the partition for the filepage (which I wrongly called "swap" in my first post) so I assume the definitive layout could be:

- drive#1 SSD (OS + programs) + drive#2 HDD (2 partitions: pagefile + data)

If I understand you (reckonankit) correctly, it is possible to install programs on a separate drive but it is better to have them on the system drive.
Is that correct?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:10 AM

If your partition was full...it was because you had User files installed on it, which are nothing but data files which don't have to be on that partition.  I've had XP and
Win 7 installed (dual-boot) on a 60GB hard drive.  Windows 7 partition recommended/suggested size is generally 35-50GB, IMO.

There is no reason whatever to make the pagefile a consideration....for a partition...in Windows.  You can virtually eliminate the pagefile in Windows, if you so choose, although it's generally recommended that you allow it to be approximately 2 times the amount of RAM you have installed.  Windows does that automatically.

Louis

#7 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

Windows 7 partition recommended/suggested size is generally 35-50GB, IMO

Microsoft says at least 20GB. Let's say 50GB to be on the safe side.

I usually install a lot of software (especially for 2D/3D graphics and video editing). These programs fill the drive, not Windows itself.

Leaving about 30GB free (I understand it's better not to fill a drive completely) I'll have about 40GB for programs. Or 40GB for W7 and 50GB for programs.

About the pagefile... it seems there are different schools of thought.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

There usually are...regarding just about anything meriting discussion :).

Louis

#9 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

Yep :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users