Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New member's problem: Nations Hijacker

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pslane

pslane

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

Does anybody know anything about or how to get  rid of a Hijacker called Nations Hijacker?  The address line turns green and says Blucora, USA.  I believe it has something to do with Google (which I despise and try to stay away from)  It's almost impossible to keep Google away.

Anyway if I open up my browser and Google takes it, I go to options and change it back to the browser I want and have always used.  As soon as I change it the green address line with Blucora comes up.  Would it be possible to try and get rid of Google and Chrome? 

Please  tell me if anybody else has had this problem and what to do about it.  Any thoughts would be nice.  I've been through a step by step cleaning  with a tech from Malwarebytes.

Thanks.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 July 2015 - 11:32 AM.
Moved from Windows 7 to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

Blucora owns the Dogpile search engine according to the web.

You have adware and possibly malware. Use the programs below to find and remove.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here
Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • If potential threats are detected, ensure that Quarantine is selected as the Action for all the listed items, and click the Apply Actions button.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 pslane

pslane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

I didn't mention I also had a Search engine hijacker called Secure Search that I couldn't get rid of. 

Following the steps that the Malwarebytes tech gave me, I ran most of the cleaners on this site already.  I didn't run Junk remover, though so I will do that. I already run the latest paid version of Malwarebytes and I've run the Threat, Custom and the Hyper scans although they do run automatically.  She had me send the text files to her but I don't understand that part of it.......they're Greek to me.  I also ran FRST64 and zoex.exe and sent her the text files.

The search engine problem Secure Search is gone now, it was in my add-ons list,  but the Nations did not.

I have used Dogpile search engine for over 10 years and have never seen the green Blucora, Inc (Nations zoom Hijacker appear in my address line.  I will investigate that.

So I guess I will run them all again with Junk Removal this time. Do you suggest I run them all again  or just Junk Removal?

I also didn't run Esets.  I do use IE,  should I run it?

Thank you

Pauline Lane

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

If you are getting help from a tech pro at MBAM then you should stick with that. They can use tools that I can't.

For more info on Blucora....Blucora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 pslane

pslane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

True, but I think she has done all she can and all she did was refer me to this website and give me downloads from bleepingcomputer.com 

I think the cleaners did the job for me as far as the Secure Search browser hijack but I think we are supposed to be happy with the Blucora, Inc on our address line.  But I'm not happy with it.  As far as I can tell by research, Infospace is the cause of it.  I'll just change search engines.  Isn't there another search engine that combines results from different engines?

Thanks

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Give duckduckgo.com a look. It is similar and many think better than Dogpile because of its ease of customizing and privacy protection.

I use it occassionally. You don't have to set it as default. I don't. Use Google 99% of the time.

Here is a link to the settings page for DDG. DuckDuckGo Settings

About DuckDuckGo

Edited by buddy215, 05 July 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#7 pslane

pslane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

Okay..you're welcome...but I would still suggest working with the MBAM tech. It's not unusual for techs to link to BC downloads. They are free of adware that is 

so often piggy backed onto downloads from multiple other sites.

#9 pslane

pslane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

I think I'm okay now.  Dogpile and I have parted ways.  I really like Duckduckgo so far.  Since I dumped dogpile, I have not seen the green Blucora line again.

I think the tech has closed out my case, but I will most likely call on them again in the future.  Thanks for all the help.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

Good...happy surfin'..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users