Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get windows10 app missing from notification tray

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

Greetings,ok like many others I did reserve win10 but i do not have the app in my tray area,also I have the required updates(KB3035583,KB2952664).I've tried several of the "fixes" using command prompt.Nothing is working for me still no app any suggestions would be appreciated.(Do I actually need this app?)

Edited by bobbymcgee, 05 July 2015 - 02:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

What OS are you currently running ?  My understanding is that this upgrade only applies to computers running any version of Win 7 or Win 8.

If you have reserved a copy it will turn up as an update sometime on or after the 29th July. Even if for some reason your reservation has not 'taken' if you have a qualifying OS you will be able to download the ISO on or after the 29th. For more information, see this topic -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581621/heres-how-microsoft-will-release-windows-10/

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:51 PM

Hi bobbymcgee :)

I made a thread for those who cannot get the "Get Windows 10" app running. It contains a link to a thread on Microsoft Answers with various solutions in it, you should give it a look.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579044/support-thread-for-the-get-windows-10-app-not-working/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

Chris, thanks to both of you for replying.First off I have Win7 Home Premium SP1. The above mentioned fix is the one I have tried after I did all that was suggested it just plays in a continous loop not really doing anything it doesn't give me any choices to check..

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

Do you have a folder called GWX in C:\Windows\System32? If so, go in it and execute manually GWX.exe in it. Does the icon appear in the icon tray?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:47 PM

What OS are you currently running ?  My understanding is that this upgrade only applies to computers running any version of Win 7 or Win 8.

If you have reserved a copy it will turn up as an update sometime on or after the 29th July. Even if for some reason your reservation has not 'taken' if you have a qualifying OS you will be able to download the ISO on or after the 29th. For more information, see this topic -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581621/heres-how-microsoft-will-release-windows-10/

Chris Cosgrove

Greetings,ok like many others I did reserve win10 but i do not have the app in my tray area,also I have the required updates(KB3035583,KB2952664).I've tried several of the "fixes" using command prompt.Nothing is working for me still no app any suggestions would be appreciated.(Do I actually need this app?)

Mine was taken away for a while, and came back several days later. Maybe you just need to wait for a while.

Or try the method from Aura. 

Edited by Bailifei, 05 July 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#7 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:21 AM

Greetings,yes I have the GWX.exe  folder but when I click onto it nothing happens.(yes I used administrator privlages)

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:18 AM

You said that you tried the script, which one are you talking about? The one posted originally by Yaqub K or the one from Susan Bradley?

unite_blue.png

#9 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

I believe it is the one from  Yaqub K (I believe you are given three choices I was told to take the second choice) but in my case no choices came up it just kept looping(repeating itself)

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:58 AM

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the update (KB3035583) yet?

unite_blue.png

#11 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

Both updates several times.(KB3035583,KB2952664)

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

Do you have the tasks created in the Task Scheduler like I show here?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578100/remove-the-get-windows-10-icon-from-the-icon-tray/

unite_blue.png

#13 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>\GWX\GWXConfifManager.exe/RefreshConfig
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Windows\system32>GWX\GWX.exe/taskLaunch

I was advised to type the above in command prompt and this is what came up.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Can you add a space between GWXConfigManager.exe and /RefreshConfig? And I'm sure it's GWXConfig and now GWXConfif :P

unite_blue.png

#15 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

Did as you suggested comes up as not recognizable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users