Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Fades White

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

I'm going to try my best to explain this, the only way to do that is to simply describe what happens.

First off, the monitor goes white ONLY when the screen was off for a while.

At first I thought it was a power problem, because I first found this bug when I lost power overnight, and in the morning when I turned it on, the screen was white.

However, I turned off the screen with the button on the monitor, and accidentally left it like that overnight, and the same thing happened today.

This is what happens when it has no power and comes back on:

I start the computer, or login, or simply turn on the monitor.

It slowly fades to complete whiteness in about 3-5 seconds.

I still can see my mouse moving around while it does this, and it's still a clear picture.

If I mess around with it for long enough, it DOES work fine.  This is why I don't think it's a monitor problem.  I normally just power on the monitor, wait like a century and a half, and then plug it into the PC after waiting ages, and it magically fixes itself.

I feel like it may be an operating system problem, but I can't tell.

Once I 'get it working', it works 100% fine until then next time I leave it off for a long period of time.

I can even restart the computer, unplug the monitor, etc. as long as I plug it in in a few minutes.

If I plug it into just the power, the monitor works fine.  All the settings and such are visible.

The second I plug it into the computer, it goes white.

Which is why I don't think it's a monitor problem..

When I do wait a while before plugging it into the PC again, it'll start flashing in a pattern-like manner.  Each flash slowly gets slower and slower until it's only flashing once every minute or so.  Then it stops completely, and the monitor works just fine.

I'm running some old Dell and Windows 8.1.  I'll list more specific specs if I need to, but it seems very much like a driver or program problem. (Which I have updated, and didn't fix it)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:08 PM

What GPU? To me it actually sounds like the monitor is faulty. Can you try the monitor on another PC?

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

#3 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

Sorry, I thought no one was going to reply.

Alright, so the GPU is some NVidia 600 series.. I don't really remember the specification.  But it's more than capable of displaying it.

I'm beginning to think you're right, it may just be a bad monitor OR a bad cable, because if I unplug it, wait a while, and plug it back in, it works, but does that flashing thing I mentioned.

I'm just going to skip any troubleshooting and buy a new one, I can get one used that will be just as good as this one, for pretty cheap.  Though I would love to fix it, I'm too frustrated with it to spend a lot of time doing so.

#4 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

At least if it's not actually the monitor, there's nothing wrong with having two monitors!

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users