Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete XP OS partition from a dual boot Win 7/XP system?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

I hope 'Aura' sees this as his previous help (on the original computer)  had a glitch. He advised, 'Also, simply right-click on D: (which has the XP)  and select Delete'

(I'm trying this on another computer which has the same setup.)

This does not work as Windows says that it cannot delete this, presumably as it has the boot stuff on it? The link to see my configuration is:- http://puu.sh/iNLa7/e51a2c566c.png

D; is called BOOT and C: has Boot in the description.

Trying this again under Disk Management the Delete volume is greyed out but was not when I first tried it so Windows presumably 'knew' I had tried before - very clever?

Any advice please - thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

The only way you would be able to delete this partition is offline using a bootable disk or USB. If you delete the D: boot partition which is marked active, you would lose the ability to boot Windows 7. In order to get Windows 7 to boot again you would need to repair it. Send Aura a PM and reference this thread if you want him to reply.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

Thank you for that reply.  It is more difficult than I'd hoped.

A simpler but more time and trouble consuming for me would be to re install the Win 7 using the disk I have which would, I hope, clear the drive of the XP, yes? Then sit back for all the updates and leave the computer open for malware etc. Not a happy choice I think.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

That may be the best option as a clean install would create a 100MB system reserved partiion.

You could do the following.

Create a System Repair Disk from your current install.

Create a complete disk image of your current setup using something like Macrium Free. You would first need to create a bootable disk inside of Macrium in order to restore the partition if the computer does not boot. You would save the disk image to an external drive. This would give you the option to restore the image and you would be back to where you started. With Macrium installed on a computer you can also explore the image by mounting it as a virtual drive and copy any file you want from that image.

Delete the XP partition using the Windows 7 install disk.  At this Window select Custom(Advanced). At the next window you would delete the XP partition.

Reboot the install disk and at this window select Repair Your Computer. Do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three tries before the repair completes as the partition has to be marked active and the BCD needs to be rebuilt. You would then need to expand the partition using a third party partition manager like Partition Wizard.

As  you say, depending on how much you want to do, if you have the  key for Windows 7 and the install disk, you may want to simpley reinstall Windows 7. If this is an OEM computer then you would need to use the Restore disks in order to bypass activation. If you used a regular retail install disk with the OEM key you obtained using a keyfinder then you would need to do a phone activation after install or use this utility to save your activation files from your current install.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

Thanks very much for that. All my computers were/are OEM XP machines.

What I have is a Win 7 installation disk with the key bought from a software seller the label on which says 'Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC' .Validated as genuine.

I used this on my XP machine with a dual boot .method.

(I also bought another Win 7 disk with key for another computer which turned out to be a Dell disk but works OK validated as genuine)

Won't these disks when inserted again just work as before and I won't need to do any partitioning as needed when I wanted a dual boot? As these disks are genuine should this operation not be straightforward, the present XP partitions be formatted out?

Your advice appreciated.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:23 AM

"Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC"

I believe this is an OEM disk so the OS once activated has to stay with the computer. A new motherboard would mean activation would fail but calling Microsoft and talking to a live person can get it activated if you explain the problem.

I am not sure about the Dell disk. I think that would work only on a Dell computer.

If you install Windows fresh then you would have to repartition the disk to allow XP to be installed on the unallocated space. If you have enough memory, you could install XP into a Virtual Machine using Virtual Box.

See option two here for installing XP after a Windows 7 install.

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

Yes I think both Win 7 install disks are OEM. The Dell disk I am using is on a non Dell machine.

I'm not contemplating changing a motherboard nor to use XP again so only wish to delete XP and regain the whole of the HDD.

So won't these Win 7 disks when inserted again just work as first used not needing to do any partitioning, as needed when I wanted a dual boot? As these disks are genuine should this operation not be straightforward, the present XP partitions be formatted out so regaining the whole drive as C:?

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

Take a look at the Disk Management screenshot of my other computer. The C and D partition names are not described exactly the same  as the other altho the only difference (OS etc,) between them are the sizes of their HDDs - why can that be I wonder?

http://puu.sh/iOmTo/8c64ecdf0e.jpg    screenshot of disk management

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:49 PM

The partition structure is the same between both computers other than size. The only difference is that the first image has a volume name of Boot.

You wanted to delete the XP partition then do what? Reinstall XP? If you do that then you will need to repair the Windows 7 install or do a clean install of Windows 7 and follow the post I linked for installing XP after Windows 7 as a clean install.

If you want to reinstall Windows 7 without XP simply delete all partitions in the Install WIndow and then click next.

I am not sure how you were able to activate a Dell OEM Windows 7 install disk on a non-Dell computer.

#10 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

The simplest way to do it is back-up your Xp files, then get the free Minitool Partition Wizard. Install that on W7 and delete the XP partition.

But if you want to reinstall XP, just format that partion from W7 and then install on that partition.

Edited by gigapouch, 05 July 2015 - 07:57 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

"I'm not contemplating .... to use XP again so only wish to delete XP and regain the whole of the HDD."

Thanks for replies.

Perhaps the Dell Win 7 disk was 'doctored' to work on any computer - I don't know if that's possible. The Dell logo appears on screen whenever.

Your Install Window link looks very promising. Thanks for that. I haven't read it all yet but presumably requires all the reqd. updates during which one is vulnerable to infection, yes? I was hoping just to delete the XP leaving the up to date Win 7 in situ. 

How to do this is outlined in the following links but is rather too tricky for me to attempt (many pages of instructions) - this is why I was hoping for a more simple method but seemingly out of luck.  Take a look... These are the last parts of a tutorial on installing a dual boot XP & Win 7 on how to get rid of the XP.

http://www.computershopper.com/software/howto/windows-7/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-xp/(page)/7

http://www.computershopper.com/software/howto/windows-7/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-xp/(page)/8

Edited by zzzz, 06 July 2015 - 06:33 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:44 AM

If you want to get rid of XP and only have Windows 7 then do the following in my number 4 post.

Delete the XP partition using the Windows 7 install disk.  At this Window select Custom(Advanced). At the next window you would delete the XP partition.

Reboot the install disk and at this window select Repair Your Computer. Do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three tries before the repair completes as the partition has to be marked active and the BCD needs to be rebuilt. You would then need to expand the partition using a third party partition manager like Partition Wizard.

Once you get Windows 7 to boot then post back and I will post instructions on expanding your Windows 7 partition to use the whole disk. Do you have another computer to access while this Windows 7 computer is down?

#13 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

Yes I have another computer.

I'll be offline for some hours now so will tackle this tonight and post back my progess.

#14 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

I'm attempting this now.

You wrote:

' At this Window select Custom(Advanced). At the next window you would delete the XP partition.'

There seems no way to delete here. I have:-

Disk 0 Partition 1: BOOT (D:)   (which has the XP )  Type System

Disk 0 Partition 2: (C:)                                               Type  Primary

Right clicking on either does nothing or any offer to delete.  There is a message which says,' To make changes to partitions, restart Windows from the install disk'. Is this the method?

So I should get the disk out and then load it again ? What should I expect to see next?

r

#15 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

I proceeded anyway.

At that last window I exited the CD and started it again. The result was a loop of 'Install now'.

So I closed that window and restarted and got back to that same window. Clicking next it then said the selected item's contents would be put in a folder windows.old. and is now continuing with the install.

I'll post what the result will be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users