Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Temperature Through The Roof!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Delfire

Delfire

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

I bought my laptop HP DV1420us about no more than a year ago, roughly 2 weeks ago, the laptop just randomly shut down after running an intensive game. My past experiences told me that it's probably the cpu overheating and the shutdown was a safety measure, but when I opened both SPEEDFAN and Everest to check the temperature, I found something very strange.

It appears that my cpu temperature is directly proportional to the current fan speed.
Meaning that if I open Firefox and memory resources are used, the fan automatically turns on and the temperature SKYROCKETS, I mean to maybe about 80C according to both SPEEDFAN and EVEREST, and then it comes back down whenever the fan slows down or stop turning. In other words, if my fan doesn't turn, my cpu temp is read at 40C or lower.

Now you may ask, why not just calibrate the fan speed? I did. Through POWER SETTINGS and a software called "Notebook Hardware Control". After I allowed the laptop to run like a desktop (fan running all the time to keep cool), the temperature read at 60C, but I know for a FACT that the actual cpu is ridiculously cool because I can feel the bottom of the laptop as not being hot at all.

So if anyone encountered any problem like this before, such as ACPI related, or somehow WHY my cpu read is wrong, please enlighten my anyway possible. Telling me to get ARCTIC SILVER helps, but not that much ;) . I never had this kind of computer problems before since I diagnotics all 3 computers in my house all the time. But now I'm accepting defeat in hopes of asking a real EXPERT or anyone with a sound explanation/advice. PLEASE help me out. Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

It appears that my cpu temperature is directly proportional to the current fan speed.

No, you have that backwards. The fan speed is proportional to CPU temperature. In other words the hotter the CPU gets the faster the fan will run trying to cool the CPU.

The shut downs are most likely heat related. If the CPU overheats, the system will shut down to protect the processor.

Suggestions:
  • Make sure that any dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.
  • If your owner's manual tells you how to open the case, consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not dusty.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

BC has a PC cleaning tutorial HERE,in case you'd like to give it a look.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Delfire

Delfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

Thank you JUST ME, but my cpu and the back of my laptop is VERY cool. When I said that "it appears that my cpu temperature is directly proportional to the current fan speed", I really mean it. When SPEEDFAN and other related software read my cpu temperature, it's quite volatile and unstable. it goes from 50C to 80C in one second depending on how much system resources I use.

My best guess is still ACPI related matters or a wrong temperature read. Causing from what? I don't know. But thank you guys very much for your input.

boopme, thank you for the cleaning instructions, but this is a laptop, and I have already opened it more than a couple of times.

Edited by Delfire, 10 July 2006 - 08:48 AM.

#5 khazaei

khazaei

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:11 AM

Hi,
I have a problem which is some how related to this topic. I have an Amilo M7405. Recently it got a problem. When I turn it on, even if I don't run any software, it's temperature rises up quicly and the fan starts to work!! It works continuously and doesn't stopt att all.

I installed a software to check the Temperature of CPU and hard-drive, CPU is always on 11 ( I think the CPU temprature sensor maybe damaged) and when the temperature of hard drive reaches to 35C, the fan starts to work continuously even if I don't work with my laptop!! but again the Temperature of my laptop rises up ..42- 45 and if I don't shut down it rises and rises again!!

What can I do? Could you help me

#6 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

how do you tell what your CPU temprature is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users