Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning/Partitioning Problems with logical partition.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:37 AM

For nearly a year now, ever since Macrium Reflect Pro updated its software for Win8, I've had trouble using it on Win7.  Same, for Clonezilla, which heretofore has been my lifesaver.  But the problem is quite specific to one machine, specs here.  It's a 780 Optiplex with 4 GB RAM, Win7 build 7601, default RAID on but not used.  The first four drives in the pic are my internal 1 TB hard drive.  But it's really FIVE, as the mbr is secretly the first partition, and I didn't know that when setting up the disk partitions.  That's the problem.

For you'll see in the pic, that the 'G' drive is accounted 'logical', which of course it would be, since really the mbr is the first partition.  Neither diskmgmt.msc nor diskpart show it, but that's why G: is considered Logical.  The 'clone' I tried to make is in the lower row, and it clones fine until it tries to clone that G drive.  Then it bombs.

Since September, therefore, I can't get Macrium to clone that partition, nor Clonezilla, but both will backup or image it.  EASEUS will copy the partition, and presumably some other software will also.

Yet I want a simple one-disk clone operation, as I use for Macrium on all my other machines (which have 3 partitions total, so all are primary).  The G drive contains programs I can easily reinstall, else the rest of the material is just docs or collected Linux iso files, pictures, stuff which could be imaged or copied off.  But how to get its 'G' contents all into the F partition in one swoop?  Any ideas you care to share?

So the question is, may I MERGE or otherwise move/redo the G partition into F, so I end up with only four partitions?  Since September, I did delete G, repartition it (hence the 5 GB overage now), clone back its contents, in an effort to find out what happened.  It then worked for awhile, but not now.  Chkdsk is fine.  Alignments are fine.  I know how to use GParted, etc. but it plays games with logical partitions which Windows can't handle.  And it's disturbing how the letters are out of order.  So seems like the answer is to get rid of the logical partition.

So I guess I'm looking for a Windows-only way to fix this.  Do you know of one?  What do you think are the best mechanics for fixing this?  The larger issue is similar for anyone creating partitions, so to know what pitfalls to avoid, perhaps?

As always, thank you for your time spent in reply; if you think I should not have posted the topic, feel free to delete it.  Thank you again!

Edited by brainout, 05 July 2015 - 04:59 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

One more thing.  Although Clonezilla says the Clone failed, the byte count per partition is the same in the source and destination, using Windows rightclick properties, side by side.  The only difference is for C, where the Windows Properties excludes the bytes in the MBR, but the cloned equivalent counts the MBR bytes.  And I have no problems accessing the clone data in 'G' or 'K', its clone.  So is this a false failure?

I didn't test the Macrium Reflect Pro results, as when Macrium fails to clone, it creates errors in the source, requiring me to do chkdsk to fix those errors.  So I ended up uninstalling that license and reverted to 6.0 Free, but the effect remains the same.  Again, dunno if this info is relevant.

Edited by brainout, 05 July 2015 - 05:26 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

Two more variables apparently enter the mix.  First, it's possible that a cloner or partition-backup program ASSumes the 4k Advanced Format, but some other one, does not.  I noticed that Clonezilla was expecting a 2048 boundary for C; even in the latest download from Sourceforge.  (I've not tried Knoppix yet, as the cloner is part of the whole OS, but have downloaded it.  The mirror only allows 7.2, not 7.4.).  So if MACRIUM that I normally use is expecting 4K boundary on a clone drive (target) which is using 2048, then it might well fail.  I expected it to reformat first, but maybe it doesn't.  So that might be a cause of the errors, lately.

Or, if Windows is expecting it. Would that make sense?  But why would that matter, if the clone is physical, sector by sector?

Or, maybe I have partitions with a mix of boundaries (big no-no).  Dell has a realignment tester (really the Paragon one) which I'll have to run.

Beyond that, I'm stumped.  Windows did not like every folder in the target clone, calling some of them 'corrupt' and wouldn't let me in there.  Odd, since the byte count matches, so how could they read the byte count of the entire drive, if they couldn't open those (usually multi-gig) folders?

So copied the G partition to its K clone with EASEUS, which just now finished (took over an hour), will image it too.  Now those same folders, are readable by Windows.  So something in the cloning process with Clonezilla is suddenly not 'conforming' to what Windows expects.  Hence the need for a Windows solution.

Don't get me wrong, I love many of the Linux features.  But I'll never quit Windows.  My beef with Microsoft is they've messed up the interface and installation and updates, which I would gladly pay to get fixed, but there is no fix.

Else, I don't know what else to do.  Again, if you want to ignore me, I understand.  It's just usual that when I have a problem and report it, someone else is or soon will have the same issue.

Edited by brainout, 05 July 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#4 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:33 AM

Okay, EASEUS couldn't clone this Win7 disk either?  I woke up tonight to a blue screen, which is how its clone operation terminated (going on for hours).  Really weird cloning results.  Per diskpart, EASEUS took away 145 GB from the G partition and 'gave' it to the clone's Recovery partition -- which 145GB is free space, in G -- though the Recovery original, is only 14GB.  Not good.  But I can access the folders and files in Windows, and the byte counts are all okay.

Again, even with cloning (so now I know its copy partition is the same), the original C drive's MBR offset remains 1024KB (why, I don't know, the Win7 installation was done by Dell, its OEM, is the same on my other Win7 Pros), but the EASEUS offset is again 31KB?!  This was my first use of EASEUS for cloning.

So what gives?  (Can image and backup, so we're not talking bad clusters.  Have run a thorough chkdsk on all partitions several times.  EASEUS does it before cloning, too.) 

Well, over the months I've learned via process of elimination, that the core problem is the G drive being logical. Have changed clone targets (external drives), problem repeats no matter whether I overwrite an existing external, or use a new one.  Today, a brand new 2TB WD drive (and I've always used WD drives, so it's not that, clone used to work really well.)  Have changed cords on the other ones.  But have not tried doing it using a 2.0 port, but always with the Anker 3.0 separately powered hub.

Reformating, copying/resizing/moving partitions have all been tried, but not merge.  G drive was used by Windows as my default location for wallpaper, and that triggered the initial meltdown in Macrium's first failure to clone, back last September.  Somehow Macrium (Reflect Pro, 5.x) trashed the G drive for a bunch of files back last September and ever since; Windows did repair them all, but I had to use XP's chkdsk to do it.  Odd thing was, could still use the data before running chkdsk.

Okay, stopping now, don't know what else to report.  Thank you for your time!

Edited by brainout, 06 July 2015 - 01:50 AM.

#5 jackmiller506

jackmiller506

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:08 AM

I ever attended to copy a whole partition for my friend .i searched on google and found the "partitionwizard" could easily copy a partition to another HDD or an allocated space on current HDD.i dont really remember the procedurs.but i know it took me very less time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users