Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8.1 - PC does not detect one partition in external disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 br945

br945

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:04 AM

I have recently taken a new PC with win 8.1.

My old PC had win xp.

My old HDD had two partitions C: and D:.

Now when accessing the old HDD as an external disk, I can find the first partition C: but in place of partition D: , it does not show at all and size shown is 0. ( 0 used and 0 available)

the files and folders are obviously not seen too.

what can be wrong and how do i access this partition again.

request someone with specific advice to inform me how to resolve this.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:11 AM

Start by running Seatools for Windows (free from here:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ )

Run the long/extended test on the hard drive whose partitions/files you can't see.

What was on partition D:?

Have you tried recovery software?  If not, I'd suggest this program (it's free to see what you can recover - but costs if you want to recover):  http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

There are free programs that do this, but they aren't as reliable or they're much more difficult to use.  If looking for a free program I'd suggest:  http://www.pcinspector.de/Default.htm?language=1

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 br945

br945
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:15 AM

Start by running Seatools for Windows (free from here:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ )

Run the long/extended test on the hard drive whose partitions/files you can't see.

What was on partition D:?

Have you tried recovery software?  If not, I'd suggest this program (it's free to see what you can recover - but costs if you want to recover):  http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

There are free programs that do this, but they aren't as reliable or they're much more difficult to use.  If looking for a free program I'd suggest:  http://www.pcinspector.de/Default.htm?language=1

thanks.

1. i tried with seagate tools. it does not detect the external hard disk at all, only the HDD on main PC.

2. partition D (of external HDD)  mostly has data and documents including videos and music.

3. will now have to try redcovery software but i wonder, if the second partition on the external drive is not detectable at all, how will the software access that partition.

ScreenShot136.jpg

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

The recovery software works at a lower level than Windows (in most cases).

It may or may not be able to detect anything.

But if it can't detect anything, then you know that data recovery on that drive will be very expensive.

FYI - not detecting the drive is different than not seeing anything on the drive.

As a quick example,  if the files were deleted, the system would show the disk as empty.
But deleting a file doesn't really remove it entirely - most often it just deletes the first 2 characters of the file name.

That's one of the things that recovery software checks for.

Also, it's possible for the partition (the D: drive) to disappear.

The recovery software checks for this also.

The fix for it is a bit more difficult.  The one time I tried this (back in the XP days), I wasn't able to recovery the partition.

Again, the recovery software will tell you if it can recover it or not - then it's your choice about what to do.

Edited by usasma, 08 July 2015 - 06:58 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 br945

br945
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

The recovery software works at a lower level than Windows (in most cases).

It may or may not be able to detect anything.

But if it can't detect anything, then you know that data recovery on that drive will be very expensive.

FYI - not detecting the drive is different than not seeing anything on the drive.

As a quick example,  if the files were deleted, the system would show the disk as empty.
But deleting a file doesn't really remove it entirely - most often it just deletes the first 2 characters of the file name.

That's one of the things that recovery software checks for.

Also, it's possible for the partition (the D: drive) to disappear.

The recovery software checks for this also.

The fix for it is a bit more difficult.  The one time I tried this (back in the XP days), I wasn't able to recovery the partition.

Again, the recovery software will tell you if it can recover it or not - then it's your choice about what to do.

using Recuva softwarae, able to detect 1000s of files which it is showing as in excellent condition. will try recovery.

but what i wanted to do was to see the entire partition as it was along with folders etc.

think the problem is with windows accessing the file system on the partition. what is the starting point of windows to search and access a disk or partition, any idea?

thans for your help so far.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:38 AM

I had completely forgotten about Recuva!  Thanks for mentioning it!

You may not be able to see the partition as it was, the partition table may have become corrupted.

You could try the other software - but I'd strongly suggest recovering the files first (in case something goes wrong).

Then you can try the PCInspector software (as I recall, it did show structures - but that was a long time ago)

I can't recall if the GetDataBack software showed structures or not - but it'll be easy to run and see what's available.

Windows accesses the drive according to how the file system tells it to.

It's a complicated process - so you'd have to look at Chapters 10 (Storage Management) and 12 (File Systems) of the Windows Internals books just to get an idea of how it works.

More info on it here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963901.aspx

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

The first thing I would do is boot a linux disk like Puppy linux. You would need to disable Secure Boot in UEFI before being able to boot the Puppy disk. You could also use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Your computer should have a boot menu key. Press that at boot and select the USB flash drive or disk. Sometimes linux can read a RAW partition where Windows fails. At the Puppy desktop, attach the USB external drive. If it has two partitions, then you should see sdb1 and sdb2. sdb2 being your RAW partition. Click once on the icon and a File Manager will open. If Puppy can see your partition post back and I will give instructions on how to copy the files.

Edit: If Puppy does not detect the partition then use Testdisk.

Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip the folder to your desktop. Run it and do a Quick Search on your external drive. Does Quick Search detect both partitions of the external drive. If it does, highlight the missing partition and press the "p" key. It should list your files. Press "a" to highlight all files. Then upper case "C" to copy the files. The default destination will be the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. Do not write a new partition table. Only copy your files. You will need enough free space on your internal drive to copy over the files. Your directory structure should be the same.

If Quick Search did not find the partition do a deeper search. Because you have one good partition on the drive, the odds of recovery should be good. Once you have copied over all your files then post back and we can try writing a new partition table to get your partition back but this should only be done once your files are recovered.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 July 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#8 Crunos

Crunos

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

how it shows in Disk management?  I suggest you run chkdsk to fix bad sectors.

#9 br945

br945
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:25 PM

how it shows in Disk management?  I suggest you run chkdsk to fix bad sectors.

disk management shows that paticular sector as healthy.

but no data seen

chkdsk doesnt work for that particular partition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users