Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Speed (Which is faster?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 new.computer.guy

new.computer.guy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am an older guy that's not very computer savvy. :-O

There are two internet providers in my area that I am looking into purchasing my internet service from. I am having a hard time understanding which of the two companies have the faster internet connection. Can someone please help me? What is the difference between MB and MG? Which of these two internet providers have the faster internet, the one with 7 MB OR 10 MG?

Please follow the below links

http://www.wmtel.net/content/internet-services

https://www.goldfieldaccess.net/our-services/internet/residential-internet-services

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

Sounds like MG is just a different abbreviation for megabits. What are you planning on doing with your Internet? If it's just checking your email and surfing the web all you need is 3mbps. But if you frequently download fairly large files or you game, I would recommend 10 mbps.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Aperture

Aperture

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

The wireless solution does sound very good despite being more expensive.  They will likely need to install a Subscriber Module (wireless receiver essentially) on your roof pointing to the nearest AP (Access Point). It may be worth enquiring how far away this AP is from your premises as that will help you gauge what speeds will be attainable.
If the kit there is well maintained I can imagine this working out to being more reliable than a standard wired Broadband connection.

If, however, you just want to browse some forums and watch the odd youtube video without a huge dependance on reliability then the cheaper broadband from goldfieldaccess may be all you need!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users