Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disengage the touchpad, Win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

I am old fashioned, I like using the mouse.  When I don't turn off the touchpad, I get all sorts of crazy things happen with the cursor. 

Changing it in the Control Panel is useless.  I believe I can do it in the BIOS.  However, I don't want to mess with it unless someone can give me a clear method.  I get scared when I am in those strange and creapy places. . . . 

Happy 4th of July to the world!!  The USA celebrates Independence, but the rest of the world has a 7/4 as well - so 

Happy 4th of July!!

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:17 PM

Look HERE

Before installing any software to handle the task, I would establish a System Restore Point...

To create a restore point
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click System protection. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Cre

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

You can check this:

Open up Control Panel.

Click MOUSE to open Mouse Properties.

If you see a Device Settings tab, click it.

Check the box that says "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached".

Click Apply.

Note: If you turn the laptop on and the touchpad does not get disabled, go back to Control Panel/Mouse. When opened it *should* disable the touchpad. To make it easier, you can put a shortcut to Mouse on your desktop and click it from there.

#4 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

Shortcut is just the answer.  Thank you.  I know there is a way to make it permanent, but this will do nicely!

Thanks everyone, Pat

#5 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:03 AM

Another way with laptops is there's an F5 button that allows you to permanently disable the touchpad you can always press the same key to re-enable it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users