Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Issues in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ychen428

ychen428

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

My laptop has an issue with 1) Not being able to shut down and 2) Not being able to wake from sleep. I suspect it has to do with Windows 8.1 hybrid hibernate or perhaps my boot order (switched to USB to clean reinstall).

Details

1) Following normal shutdown from start menu, computer will initiate but will stay on a dim screen with processor running. This follows the Windows is shutting down prompt. Have to force shut down by holding power button

2) Laptop will sleep normally as defined in power options, screen turns off proccessor remains on. Settings are the same time in the settings (10 min). When attempting to resume, no response from the computer and screen remains off.

System information

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Asus S301LA

Clean reinstall of Windows with some software installed

Drivers + Windows fully updated

Attached are some hopefully helpful screens

Laptop was left to go to sleep mode. Following day unable to resume so force shutdown.

Attached File  sleep1.PNG   647.75KB   0 downloadsAttached File  power1.PNG   50.69KB   0 downloadsAttached File  shutdown1.PNG   664.95KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

I've had this problem before on my Lenovo B575... The solution is simple... Reinstall Windows in Legacy instead of EFI... To do that you need to install Windows 8.1 to a USB Stick or modify the ISO and remove the EFI Folder and the efibootmgr file... That will force Windows to install in Legacy... Rest assured this will work... Check this thread for the Lenovo B575 if you have any questions... The method is still the same for your computer... https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-A-B-C-N-S-Flex-and/How-to-Install-Windows-8-1-Preview-on-a-Lenovo-B575/td-p/1205806

#3 ychen428

ychen428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for your reply!

I'm currently reinstalling and I'll let you know what happens.

#4 ychen428

ychen428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

Upon attepmting to replicate steps I found several issues

1) Deleting the folder and file does not allow me to install UEFI. When I go to window 8.1 recovery it still says UEFI. Rebooting to the flashdrive does not prompt the installation, instead goes to login screen.

2) I went into my BIOS and check to see if I had legacy. I did, and it was enabled, so Legacy boot is most likely not the cause.

Would you happen to know another workaround?

#5 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

BIOS is not the problem... The problem is that the computer is installing the wrong version of Windows 8.1 (EFI) for your system... A simple way to determine if your installing the right one is when you get to the part in the installation where you are partitioning the hard drive... Delete all the partitions and create one new one with all the hard drive space... If windows creates just 2 The 100 MB System Reserved and the Primary then you are installing in Legacy... If it creates 4 of them The System Reserved, Primary, plus 2 recovery partitions, then it is installing in EFI mode. One easy way to do this is install Windows 7 on your computer then run the Windows 8.1 disc and upgrade from 7 to 8.1... That will keep it in Legacy since Windows 7 installs in Legacy... Let me know how it goes...

#6 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

Oh and btw if your having trouble booting to the flash drive then check your computer's BIOS for the Multi-Boot screen... It may be F12 or something similar that will allow you to select what to boot from... Also your BIOS saying Legacy is something completely different... if needed try modifying the ISO using MagicISO or something and boot from the disc...

#7 ychen428

ychen428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I'm on UEFI since I have 5 partitions (I split primary into Data and System).

Unfortunately I cannot install from disk as my laptop has no optical drive. I can only boot to USB to install a new OS. This also means I don't have a 8.1 upgrade disk since my laptop came with 8.1 installed.

Based on this I should be able to nuke and reinstall 7 on my laptop, but I'm unable to do the upgrade to 8 since that is it's own USB drive which only does UEFI.

#8 ychen428

ychen428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:18 PM

I should probably add that my laptop does not have all drivers on 7, otherwise I would leave the mess that is 8.1. So I guess the question remains can I install 8.1 from 7 in Legacy without a disk since the USB method installs in UEFI.

#9 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

OK here is what you can do:

First you should probably write down or print out your product key for Windows 8.1 just incase... It should be on the bottom of your computer or something like that... If it isn't then you can use ProduKey to access it and print it out

Note: If it was preinstalled with Windows 8.1 the Product Key is probably keyed into the BIOS but better safe than sorry...

Now go to this page and download the Windows Installation Media Creator.

Run the program and it will ask you what version of Windows you want, where to install it to (Your USB), 32-Bit or 64-Bit, etc.

Once the program has installed Windows 8.1 onto your USB drive then go and delete those files I mentioned earlier...

Now turn off your computer and plug in the USB drive into your computer...

Now for your computer here are the steps for accessing the Boot Menu:

Turn on your computer and immediately start pressing the Esc key... This will bring you into the boot menu... If this doesn't work try it several times...

Now click on USB Device or whatever your computer calls it... This will force it to boot to your USB...

If it asks you to press any key to boot from USB go ahead and do it...

Now you should be in the installation for Windows 8.1

Follow the steps, if it asks you to enter your product key enter the one you wrote down or printed out... If not just keep going...

When it gets to the partitioning part then delete every partition on your hard drive and create one new one... You should have only 2

Finish the installation and you should have Windows 8.1 fully installed without any problems...

Let me know if you have any questions

#10 ychen428

ychen428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

I had attempted similar steps before and had an issue with the installation no proceeding after I deleted the folders. I can try booting to the USB directly instead of through the 8.1 Recovery menu.

Also, you specifically mentioned to delete all partitions. If I split my primary into 2, should I still nuke and create one for the purpose of installation?

I'll attempt these after I get home from work and post an update.

#11 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Yes of course... I only wanted you to delete the old partitions to get rid of the crap that was on the computer currently... After that you can create as many partitions as you want however you want... Don't use anything you've already done just start over and use the steps I gave you... If the installation gets stuck let me know I can provide an alternate method of installation (which is trickier however)

#12 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

Hmm... Did it work or did you encounter any problems?

#13 ychen428

ychen428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I was speaking with an Asus representative last night and did not get a chance to post.

After I reinstalled, it seemed to work fine. I tested basic sleep and had no issues, but shutdown still remained. Then I went to update by drivers, but I decided to check device manager to verify the drivers I had downloaded ahead of time. As it turns out, my laptop actually came preinstalled with the wrong graphics card, which may have caused issues with the display remaining off and a desync during the shutdown process. Asus support says they will look into it, but they have already confirmed the gpu on my laptop is NOT one that is supposed to come on my laptop. 

I think before Asus concludes their investigation I'll mark this as solved, since if it's a gpu driver issue then that's a whole new can of worms. If further down the line I have issues I'll reach out to the forum again.

Thanks for your help!

#14 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:02 PM

If your computer came with EFI instead of Legacy preinstalled, then your right, who knows what other problems your computer came with. I honestly think your original computer problems could be resolved in this method but if the GPU is not the correct one for your laptop then eventually you'll be screwed anyway... Have ASUS do whatever needs to be done but in the end if you still have the shutdown problems then come back to BC and we will do our best to help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users