Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worth Investing in?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

I have two Asus eee PC 1GB netbooks, 1001P (XP) and a 1005HA (7). Both work fine but I tend to use the Win7 laptop for spare parts because it turned slow after many years and started crashing.

These netbooks are about 5 years old now and some things start to die out, one of them being the battery. I thought of buying one because I've been using it without a battery for months now. I checked amazon and I found this, what do you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AL31-1005-AL32-1005-PL32-1005-90-OA001B9000-90-OA001B9100/dp/B0093J3VEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436027444&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+1001p+battery

Next thing I wanted to invest in was RAM. It can only be upgraded to 2GB and I was wondering if it would make any big difference. I use my netbook for social media, internet reasearches, upload videos and pictures, downloads, basic video and photo editing, video recording, rarely play games. I'm already blown away on how much it can take, of course they slow down at times but still manage to get the job done.

Another thing I was thinking of changing was the OS. In my case, would you suggest me using Windows XP or 7? I started using XP because I always thought it uses less RAM therefore it gives me more speed.

Last thing, is it worth the investment?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

I see you are in the UK, anything you folks need is more expensive.  But I think you would be ahead in the long run finding a deal on something newer, many of the manufacturers offer refurbished stuff.  Question do you need a laptop?   By comparison towers  are pretty simple to upgrade leaving future options.  If I were you think a bit before acting!

Add on by all means got to 7, 10 will be free soon.  As far as memory the later OS's do a much better job of managing memory.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 04 July 2015 - 12:36 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:32 PM

1st, put XP out of your mind, once & for all, completely & forever   And DO NOT use an XP machine connected to the Internet!!  There is no reason to discuss XP or an XP machine, since long ago & certainly, not @ this point in time.

There are only 2 sensible choices, (1) Upgrade the Win7 SP1 machine to Windows 10 OR (2) buy a new Windows 10 machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users