Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking Hardware Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pdmike

pdmike

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

We have two desktop computers - one for my wife and one for myself.  They are both upstairs on either end of a long, "computer desk" as we call it.  We are going to have extensive remodeling done on the entire upstairs, including the computer room.  It is going to be necessary to dismantle our entire computer setup and move it downstairs while this is being done.

We have a wireless network that involves a modem, a router, the two desktop computers and a wireless printer.  I don't expect to be able to use either of the two desktop computers downstairs while the remodeling is going on.  They are just going to be sitting in the living room, along with the printer.  Downstairs, we also have a laptop computer with wireless capability.  In the past, we have used it downstairs and it works fine - Internet access and printability on the upstairs printer.  I want to be able to continue to do that. 

Here's my question: I plan to leave the modem and the router upstairs, in place and plugged in, while the remodeling is going on.  If I do that, will I be able to use the downstairs laptop as before?

I don't know that much about the hardware end of wireless networking.  If you take the computer out of the loop, will the network continue to operate?  Or does something have to be plugged into the computer (or vice versa) in order for the network to operate properly?

This is probably pretty basic stuff to someone who knows wireless networking, but I don't, and would much appreciate some guidance here.  Thank y'all in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2015 - 03:48 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardwarew - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

If you can connect with the laptop downstairs now, removing the two desktops will not have any affect on the wireless as long as the modem and router are still powered on. What I would be concerned with is any dust that would accumulate on the router and modem during the remodeling.

If you want to connect both your desktops using wireless purchase a couple of USB adapters with antennas. Using these you can convert your desktops to wireless easily.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

Edit: The one I linked to says it does not show support for Windows 8.1 but the driver for 8.1 is available on Tplink's website if you are running Windows 8.1 

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 July 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#3 pdmike

pdmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

Thanks, John.  Yes, when they scrape the ceiling (popcorn), the dust gets so thick it's hard to see your hand in front of your face.  I thought about moving the modem and the router downstairs as well.  What does that require?  I think it requires a plug (which, of course, we have) and a phone jack, right?  Anything more?  If I am able to make this move, and make it, am I going to have to do anything else, i.e., reconfiguring something or some such?

BTW - we are running Windows 7 on all computers.

Edited by pdmike, 04 July 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

Yes, you would need a phone jack for the modem. If it is a cable modem then you would need another cable connection. Also a electrical outlet for the router and modem. Once those are powered on you should be able to connect as before. Nothing else needs to be configured. If you move the router downstairs and you can get your desktops close enough then you would not need the wireless adapters.

#5 pdmike

pdmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

So listen to this - I decided to move everything out of the upstairs computer room.  I bagged up the two desktops, the printer and the two keyboards in plastic, stuck them in the corner of a remote closet in another room and put towels over them.  Nothing is going to get into those bad boys while the ceiling scraping is going on.

I then took the modem and the router downstairs and hooked them up.  All of a sudden (1) our phones didn't work, (2) the DirecTV was out upstairs and (3) we were getting no DSL input for the modem.  Holy Schlamoly!!  I had no idea what to do.

Since we oil the squeakiest wheel first, I went back upstairs to see if I could get the t.v. working, since Mrs. Pdmike wanted to watch something.  I found that I had inadvertently disconnected the input cable for the DirecTV service.  First problem solved.  Then I tried several dozen different ways of connecting the router and the modem.  None of them worked.  So I called AT&T.  Wouldn't you know it - AT&T had picked this time to have both their phone service and their DSL service in "an outage."  The phones came back on several hours later.  We are still waiting for DSL service to be restored.  That has been 3 days now.  If they don't have it fixed by tonight, I will begin looking around for a new DSL provider.

Whew!  What a weekend!  And, to boot, I came down with a cold on Saturday - haven't had one in almost a year.  Oh well.

#6 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Keep in mind that if you are running cable you will need a tech to come out and connect it at the new location within the house.  I know that you said you are using DSL, and this can be true wit that as well.  If the DSL line is specific for that modem, meaning it is actually dedicated instead of sharing your phone number, then the modem cannot be moved without a tech since they have to change the hardware switching information in their facility.

However, from what you have mentioned of the outage it sounds like you are using a cable or broadband connection. DSL does not normally share a phone line, since it uses the phone line itself to function. Keeping the modem in place upstairs may be your best bet.  If the dust in the air is not metallic it will have little effect on the wireless signal.  However, extensive power tool usage might.

This sounds like a tough situation to be in overall.  If you have questions you can let me know directly and I can walk you through step by step. But the best thing to do at the moment is just deal with the issues as they come and develop a permanent fix once the construction is completed.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#7 pdmike

pdmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

Thanks.  I am at work now.  I just got a call from my wife.  AT&T called to say they had their problem fixed - no more DSL outage in my area.  However, my wife says the modem (which we did move downstairs along with the router) is still blinking red on the middle (DSL) button.  The two green buttons to the left are on steady green.  The two to the right are dead, with an occasional flicker of green.  That's it.  My wife has gone somewhere and wont' be available for a while.

I am thinking that as soon as I get home, if the modem hasn't yet kicked in, I will reboot it and see what happens.

When you say "running cable," I assume you are talking about cable t.v. which also provides DSL.  No to both.  We have satellite t.v. (DirecTV) and our DSL service is provided by AT&T.  I am pretty sure we are running a broadband connection.  If need be, I can return the modem upstairs and then just remove it on the day they will actually be working there.  I hope that won't be necessary.

I have an AT&T phone number to call where I can actually talk to a human, along with a ticket number for this specific problem.  If none of the above helps, I intend to call that number and see what they have to say. 

Thanks again for your concern.

Edited by pdmike, 06 July 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

If you have ordinary DSL from ATT and not Uverse then you should be able to hook up to any phone jack you have in the house. I can't understand why the modem no longer picks up DSL though. As you posted, try restarting the modem.

#9 pdmike

pdmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:40 PM

I had the wife reboot the modem while I was on the phone with her.  Nothing.  Modem still not receiving a signal.  I called AT&T.  They will run tests, but I have to be home for that to happen.  Going home soon - will let you know what happens after I talk with AT&T.

#10 pdmike

pdmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

Looks like the problem is solved.  AT&T sent DSL Guy out to the house this afternoon.  He checked everything over.  It seems that, when they first installed the DSL in our house, they used a splitter at the connection on the side of the house and "pointed" the DSL signal only to the upstairs phone jacks.  The downstairs phone jacks were receiving no DSL signal.  DSL Guy said the reason they did this is that the fewer jacks the signal goes to, the stronger the signal is on the active jacks.

He re-pointed the signal to the downstairs jacks, and after a few bumps and grinds, everything is working just fine.  The downstairs laptop is running at "excellent" strength - 5 bars,  We are even getting a much stronger signal upstairs than we used to get downstairs.

When the upstairs work is all done, we are to call AT&T and have them send another tech out to direct the signal upstairs again.

I don't know - that's what happened.  Everything seems to be working fine.  Thanks for both of your guy's help and assistance.  This is the best site I have ever seen for helping people with computer problems such as these.  :bounce:

Edited by pdmike, 08 July 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

Glad everything is up and running. Thanks for taking the time to post an update. Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users