Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Scrolling

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

Using windows 8.1 64 bit on a Dell laptop Inspiron 15 series 3000.

The scrolling up / down is very very slow and choppy; and freezes up on; doesn t matter if I use the keypad or up / down key or page up / down its very very slow across the board ;  so how do I fix that ?

Thanks a bunch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

1 - ensure that you have ALL available Windows Updates

2 - visit the Dell Support website and update the drivers for your system.

In particular, ensure you update the chipset, storage and video drivers

Also update any drivers that have been released since 13 Oct 2013 (the release date of Win8.1)

This includes updating the BIOS/UEFI

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

Hum hate MS updates they always slow me down and the dell web site is very very confusing not user friendly I get lost their

but will try dell web site again to get driver updrives; guess I should use the free drivers update software that I see on download.com

etc that should be the way to go : )

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

DO NOT use the free driver update software!

It is confusing, inaccurate, and may contain unwanted "surprises" in the download.

Updates are necessary - both for stability, security, and speed.

If you're not able to do them yourself, take the computer to a tech who will do it for you.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hum ?    Really why hate driver software updates ? ?     and will do all my self  .

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Try a driver updater, but don't let it download anything.

You'll see that it refers to drivers that you don't have any idea about.

FYI - when you download a driver, you get more than just one driver.

It's an entire package and may contain several drivers (in addition to other control programs and configuration settings).

Most driver updaters don't do this.

Secondly, they don't have access to the latest drivers.

The manufacturer's change the names of drivers when they update them - so the driver updater tool doesn't know which they are.
I have a friend working on just such a tool to download BIOS/UEFI updates - and it's darned near impossible to do.

First you have to determine exactly which version is installed - and if the manufacturer doesn't update the version information on just one file, then you'll never get an update.

Finally, these updaters package what's called PUP's - Potentially Unwanted Programs.  That doesn't sound bad, but when they invite their buddies in, and the buddies contain malware - you're in for more problems that you expected.

I've been doing online help since the late 1990's/early 2000's - and have been specializing in BSOD's (which are mostly driver caused) since 2006 or 7.

I have never seen a driver update program that worked well enough to use.  And many that I've seen are thinly concealed malware.

Good luck!

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

Since you have a Dell finding drivers for it is simplicity itself. On the bottom of your laptop there should be a barcode with the 'number' printed in text under it, otherwise there will be a label saying 'Service tag'.

Go to the Dell web-site, select 'support' and type this number or service tag into the search box that asks for it and you will be taken to the drivers and download page for your exact model. A brilliant system, I only wish more manufacturers did the same thing !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Pestyone

Pestyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hum ok will try dell ; why not use dell for simplicity itself how else would I do it ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users