Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Option to Hibernate

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drtomeq

drtomeq

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

Hello,

I have quite a new PC and there is no option to hibernate.  I understand that this is standard just now so I did a bit of homework on how to get that option and tried 3 things unsuccesfully.

1) I went to the power options, choose what the power buttons do, change settings that are currently unavailable but the only options at the bottom of the screen are Turn on fast start-up, Sleep, Lock and no option to hibernate that should be there.

2) I tried doing powercfg /H on from the command prompt but this gives the message "Unable to perform operation.  You may not have permission to perform this operation."

3)I tried regedit, went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power but the default value was HibernateEnabled was 1.

For the way I do my work it is quite important that I have the option to hibernate so I can quickly resume and show others work so I would be very grateful if someone could find a solution.

Also it is my first time posting so appologies if I have unwittingly broken forum rules.

Thanks,

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:03 AM

What is the make and model of the system?
Have you updated the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Have you tried selecting one of the other power plans that came pre-installed on the system?

If so, have you rebooted and checked to see if the hibernate option has appeared?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 drtomeq

drtomeq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:11 AM

Hi,

Thanks for getting back so soon.

It is an Acer Aspire Switch 10E.

There were no other power plans with the system but the default.  I tried to my own.  On the main screen the only options were to change the brightness and how long it takes to go to sleep with battery/ plugged in. 

But this is where it gets weird.  In the advanced power settings in the battery options I am given the choice to shutdown or hibernate after it reaches a low/ critical level, but this option is not available for when you press the button, close the lid or from the start screen.  I'm curious if it is capable of doing a hibernate why it wouldn't normally give you that option.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

There is something messed up within your system.  This is just the beginning of our troubleshooting.

What I'll try here is several things that may result in a quick fix.

If that doesn't work, then we'll ask you to start some diagnostics and we'll work from there.

The next step is updates.

Get ALL available Windows Updates

Then get ALL available updates from the PC manufacturer.  Be sure to install everything that was released from 17 October 2013 (the release of Win8.1)

Don't forget to update the BIOS/UEFI - regardless of the date

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 drtomeq

drtomeq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for getting back to me.

I went to windows update and there were no critical updates but installed optional and recomended updates.  Didn't seem to solve the problem.

I also went to the manufacturer, Acer, to get updates.  I have the latest BIOS, which I would have expected as the PC is quite new.  Only other updates were hardware drivers which I don't think would solve the problem and my hardware seems to be working ok.

I read on a forum that Atom processors do not allow hibernation.  I am not sure if I can believe this as I am quite certain that I previously hibernated other older atom processors on Windows 7 and I don't see why a newer generation would get rid of this option.  I am pretty sure it is to do with Windows rather than the processor but any information would be grateful.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hardware drivers are the most likely problem here.  Most often hibernate problems are caused by outdated/corrupted chipset, storage, or video drivers - but other drivers can also cause hibernation/sleep problems.

I'm not real familiar with the Atom processors, but many of them can hibernate.

In particular, this article implies that your processor is capable of hibernation:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2996799

#7 drtomeq

drtomeq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:49 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the tip.  I was surprised that drivers could cause the problem but sure enough I heard someone else mention this.

I either updated the drivers from the manufacturer's website, was told I already have the current driver or was told there was a file missing and couldn't update.  In the last of these cases it is probably because I did not have that particular piece of hardware as an alternative driver installed fine.

Afterwards I went to the control panel- power settings but still did not see an option to hibernate.

Any further advise would be most welcome.

Tom

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

What drivers gave you problems?

Here's what we try first

- update ALL drivers from the Acer support website for your system

- get ALL Windows Updates.

If it still doesn't work, then try (in this order):

- Automatic Repair

- DISM/SFC

- System Restore

- Refresh

- Reset

Here's the stuff for DISM/SFC:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

#9 drtomeq

drtomeq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

Hi,

I did not know about DISM commands before so thanks for that.

The CheckHealth gave the result

"No component store corruption detected.

The operation completed successfully."

The ScanHealth, after a long wait, gave the same result.

The RestoreHealth said

"The component store corruption was repaired"

I am surprised there is corruption as the pc is only a couple of months old and I haven't been using it a lot.

I have also heard that other users of the same model could not hibernate so I am guessing by default it is not an option but there should be a way to override this.

Will have a bash again at hibernating.

Thanks.

#10 drtomeq

drtomeq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:04 AM

Hi,

Tried going through everything all again, yet still do not have a hibernation option.

Would be grateful for any other pieces of advice.

Thanks

Tom

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:34 AM

I'm about out of ideas here.
I'd suggest a Refresh of the OS.

If that doesn't help, then a Reset.

But if others are having the same problem, I'd wonder if you could get some more expert help at the manufacturer's support pages?

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users