Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 failing to start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 redhunter

redhunter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:45 AM

Hello,

5 hours ago my PC (Lenovo Y50, Windows 8.1) asked me for a restart (I guess for windows update or something), and i did.

Now the computer isn't turning on.

Also, Can't access safe mode

Tried:

- Startup repair that didn't do anything

- system restore that says it was completed successfully but it's still doesn't work (In system restore I had only 1 restore point)

- I can see my files through Kaspersky Rescue Disk so I guess the hardware is OK.

What can I do? please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

There's not a whole bunch of options if the system won't boot to windows.

First off, if you can see the file - back them up to external media (a USB drive of some sort is usually the easiest way).

Then try (in this order):

- Startup repair

- System Restore

- DISM/SFC.EXE (I can't recall if these will run from the Command Prompt)

- Refresh

- Reset (wipes everything out!)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 redhunter

redhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:29 AM

is there any way that refresh will fix it? isn't it just uninstalling all your programs?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

No, Refresh is essentially a repair install of Windows (see this link for more info:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx )

It only removes some programs - not all of them.

In most cases it can tell you what programs will be removed before you run it.

It will leave your data/documents/pictures/music/movies/etc in place (see the article for details about this also).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 redhunter

redhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

So there's a chance it will fix the problem?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

Yes.  I've seen it work a couple of times on systems that wouldn't start.

No guarantee's tho' - just wishing you good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users