Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update on Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jeffpho54

jeffpho54

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:39 AM

Hi, I used to have windows 8.1 but I had to refresh my PC so now my laptop is working on Windows 8. I did that but now I can't download any windows update because it would just freeze. I found out that the Windows Update service stops when I try to update

I did try the windows update fix it thing on microsoft but it doesn't do anything. It would also freeze when I run the program.

Another thing is after I did the refresh PC, I see that my computer would lag and windows explorer would always have 100% disk usage and it would restart by itself.

Everytime I try to go on Firefox my computer lags and I can't do anything.

This is after I refreshed the PC.

Edited by jeffpho54, 04 July 2015 - 04:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:55 AM

Hello there, 

From my own experience i have found "Windows Refresh" feature a little pointless. I had a slow Windows 8.1 system in the past and after the Refresh process i couldn't see a lot of improvements. I then performed a Reset which is technically a clean reinstall of Windows 8 and that did the trick for me. Please see the attached link below with more in-depth analysis of both features. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

Hope this helps! 

#3 jeffpho54

jeffpho54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:09 AM

Just wondering, do I have to input a windows activation key?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

With a laptop, if doing the Reset from the recovery partition you shouldn't have to enter an activation key (as long as it's a legitimate installation of Windows).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jeffpho54

jeffpho54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:27 AM

So after I've done the full system reset, I'm getting really bad hang ups. Windows Explorer would restart by itself and I would crash whenever I try to download my updates.

This literally took me 5 minutes to type as I wait for Firefox to respond.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

Have you gotten all updates from Windows and from the Manufacturer?

If so, then I'd suggest starting with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users