Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to remove bios password on laptop motherboard

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dog10dog

dog10dog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:24 AM

I received a motherboard to a laptop. It turned out to have a bios password on it. I wanted to turn it in to a carputer or something to that degree. However, the bios password is preventing me from booting up. 

I have pictures of it here http://imgur.com/a/t37j2 I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I'll try what ever as it isn't worth anything to me in it's current state. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:39 AM

Make model of laptop motherboard??

#3 dog10dog

dog10dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:43 AM

I am certain that it is a fujitsu. T734 was written on a sticky note for the laptop so I believe that is the model. 

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:29 AM

Done some searching not much info on it. Have to contact fijitsu support. That laptop looks like a tough one to crack with all the securty UEFI bios, TMP module, biometics thumprint etc. That picture of the CL points there is that under the memory card slot? I can't tell and your pics are little blurry to make out any serial numbers on the chips. Some latops do have two contact points like that hidden to reset the bios and sometimes under the memory modules. The two points is worth a try to solder a couple leads to it and tap them together during boot process or use a paper clip. Not always the case though. Some latops can be reset by finding and locating the bios chips very small chip 8 pins total 4 on each side. One of your pics has a chip there that looks like the bios chip can't tell. Sometimes jumpering pin 1-3 or 2-3 and tapping it while it's booting will reset the bios. Lastly, sometimes there is a code during boot that you can give to fujitsu and they can give you code to unlock it. That chip is very very tiny so you got to be careful soldering a couple eithernet wires to the contacts and use a sharp soldering iron. I'll leave that up to you to deside to try it, there is a possibility to brick it, but since you have no access anyways.

Edit: Example of a guy jumpering pins 2-7 on the bios chip. http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/33904-how-fix-dead-dual-bios-motherboard-if-flashing-failed.html They are all different so it could be any number of combinations I suppose depending on the architechture of the chip. Give you another idea how some models of toshiba laptops can be jumped to clear the bios. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkmKCFSt0pg

Edited by technonymous, 04 July 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#5 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:04 AM

Hi guys,

How about if try to deattach the CMOS battery on the motherboard and laptop's battery and leave it for a couple of days (to ensure all capacitors will be discharged)?

Usually it's worked with desktop computers and laptops but I'm unsure about the latest models that uses EFI instead of BIOS.

Anyway, I think it's worth to try as this is less dangerous than use wires to connect any contacts on the live hardware.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

Google Results

Louis

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

Hi guys,

How about if try to deattach the CMOS battery on the motherboard and laptop's battery and leave it for a couple of days (to ensure all capacitors will be discharged)?

Usually it's worked with desktop computers and laptops but I'm unsure about the latest models that uses EFI instead of BIOS.

Anyway, I think it's worth to try as this is less dangerous than use wires to connect any contacts on the live hardware.

Master password is retained and stored. Pulling the battery does nothing. So the next trick is to jumper a small amount of voltage between two points to force a clear. Laptops are built different than a desktop motherboard that has a 3 pin header near the bios battery. Desktop motherboards moving pin 2-3 (jumper holder) to pin 1-2 sends voltage to the chip. Same concept on a laptop some have jumper contact spots, and  some do not. Every machine differs. If no contacts the third trick is to jumper the bios chip itself. Sometimes just placing a screw driver on pin 1-3-5 will wipe it. The chips are all different. There isn't a whole lot of options to bypass the password on the bios if those tricks do not work. One might be able to find the chip replacement itself from factory & Hot Air solder a new one in it's place. When buying used replacement motherboards it is crucial to specifically ask if the bios is locked or cleared.

#8 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

I am certain that it is a fujitsu. T734 was written on a sticky note for the laptop so I believe that is the model. 

For starters...

Do not put any type of computer components on a towel or cloth. 

Too many chances of getting static electricity... the number one killer of motherboards and any devices that have circuit boards on them, such as hard drives.

Buzzsaw

You can find answers to your computer questions by doing an internet search. Go to www.google.com! Try it!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

One trick for laptops, especially the newer ones that don't have a CMOS battery but a large capacitor built inside the socket that holds the BIOS firmware chip.  Then there's the flash chips that have become common, that hold the BIOS after it is loaded and can be "flashed" with changes to said BIOS.  Without some serious research, with unit in hand to decipher chips types, it would be possible to bleed the circuits and force a system reset.  If the unit does have a battery (coin type, 2016, 2025, 2032, etc.) removing the cell may not be enough to force a reset.  I use a small pair of clips to short the battery terminals and force the reset.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

Need to indentitfy the bios chip by googling the serial numbers. Another way to reset a motherboard with it out and on a table like that is to make a handheld 3volt probe out of something sharp like a nail or something and wire up 2 AAA batteries in series (- to +) wrap cat5 wire around the nail and to negative of the battery and tape another wire at the positive side of the battery. Then use that to short the two points on the chip that sends 3v into it. Those components have a high tolerance to low voltage just like any normal transistor. Only when you start getting into higher voltage is when you start to blow things. As nova said sometimes you get whacky things like the battery soldered directly to the board and no way to remove it unless you desolder it. Then you can just try shorting the battery. Sometimes even that doesn't work and you have make a 3volt probe.

#11 dog10dog

dog10dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Winbond would be the BIOS chip right? I have already removed the CMOS battery. The CL point is by the ram. The two windbond chips (since i am right now assuming they are the BIOS) have "25032FVS10 1416" and "25Q80BVS1Q 1402".

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

Need take another snapshot and serials of the chips on otherside of the battery holder, it looks like some more chips there. Winbond can be bios chips, but they can be for other things. Your audio jacks are near there so it can be audio driver chips and the small one in the corner next to them looks like it runs to mic or whatever by looking at the circuitry. Have you tried those two CL contacts there under the memory modules? Also, look near there for maybe a contact called b500. I haven't found specifics on those serials.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

When you had this laptop up and running and you type in the password did it generate any code or anything? Sometimes after so many attempts it will spit out a code. With that code a bios unlock professional that deals with those types of models can generate a password to unlock it. Of course all this costs money for the unlock. As example...http://www.ebay.de/itm/Fujitsu-Siemens-LifeBook-CELSIUS-Unlock-BIOS-Password-loeschen-6x4-NEU-SERVICE-/351379617403 If you scroll down you can see the T-model series T734 is in the list. I am not saying this is a 100% solution, but something to check into. The manufacture might help you out too. I come across a dell laptop that had these codes and they do work unlock. However, I was sucessful in bypassing the super user password by using these types of shorts techniques.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users