Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Wiring Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silverfox15987

silverfox15987

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:00 AM

OK SO I'm fairly tech savy but I'm stumped... My landlord has the internet cable running through a switch, and then into the cable modem, TBH I have no idea how the internet is even working. (Unless a tiny 4 inch by 4 inch by 1 inch box is a modem) (FYI I run EPB Fiber optic) Before we 'upgraded' internet service I was pushing 90Mbps down and close to that as upload speed, now I'm pushing 90Mbps down and 10 up... I Honestly don't know whats going on...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:41 AM

Do you have a question or just your observations? If your question is about the size of the modem, then I would argue yes. Others might weigh in on NO, but then again it is possible. The switch is the culprit.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 silverfox15987

silverfox15987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, sorry about that... My question is this. 

Now because I'm actually posting on said internet service, I don't understand how I have internet at all, can someone explain to me why data is properly being sent and received when it goes from the wall, to a switch, then to the modem.

and 2, would putting the modem first, then wiring it to the switch fix the wireless issue (Loosing around 70+ Mbps)

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Did your landlord actually hook up the switch or was it a cable provider that hooked it up? What is the purpose of the switch?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 silverfox15987

silverfox15987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

As for the first part, I honestly don't know. I'll have to ask him when He gets home., and as far as I know the switch is just an Ethernet switch to allow multiple hard-lines. I mean I could be VERY wrong in assuming that it's a switch, but I've never seen a modem thats almost small enough to fit in an altoids can. I mean it's litterally no bigger than my hand but maybe by a sliver. (I'm at work ATM So I can't post a picture or I would.) 

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

I am going to keep up with this thread because I am very curious about your situation. Sorry I can't help you, but some of the other forum members are sure to come along and give you good advice.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

After you get home, can you try to find at the bottom of your modem any info such as model number etc and post it here?

Pics would be interesting to see as well.

About the switch, is there anything else connected to it instead of your modem?

Well, as I understood you are asking why your upload speed was decreased? Maybe there's any changes in the data plan you are subscribed or any other changes and there's no any issues with your hardware..

BTW, if from the wall to your switch connection by Ethernet cable, this is not Fiber optic already. But anyway, it doesn't mean anything.

#8 silverfox15987

silverfox15987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:54 AM

OK SO i actually could find the modem it was in the living room across the house. However when I got home the landlord decided to re-arrange everything. He ran the cable into his bedroom and I can't get to it. He wasn't home all weekend and I'm heading out of state for two weeks. So I Now know for a FACT That the cable runs from the wall, into a small switch, that then leads across the house to the EPB Modem. 

As for the plan, According to EPB the upload speed is equal too the download speeds. WHen Hardlined I could download at 90+ Mbps, but my Upload would jump to like 30 ish, then drop to 10 if I was lucky.

Sorry I won't beable to get pictures for a while guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users