Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC keeps freezing and I don't know what's wrong

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daronmal

daronmal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

My PC freezes up for a few seconds every hour exactly at xx:43 (ex: 10:43, 1:43, 6:43) and all video/mouse/keyboard input stops, but sound keeps playing. It's been doing this for a few weeks, I've restarted my PC and it kind of fixes it, for a day or two, then it gets right back into it.

My specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z98X-D3H-CF

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3-SDRAM

Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 290

HDD: Seagate 1TB, Seagate 2TB, Seagate 160GB.

Monitor: BenQ RL2455 (24")

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

G'day daronmal, and Welcome to BC.

That sounds very much like a scheduled task happening there.....

Click on the Start button and type 'scheduled tasks' into the search box there...spend a few moments and look through the list of tasks for a likely culprit...

Think back a few weeks......did you alter your AV at all?...install anything new...?/....any pc tune up program..?....spyware scanner/program...?.....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 daronmal

daronmal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

I looked in my task scheduler and found 2 programs related to my printer, one at :43 and one at :44. At :43 it scans for updates on the software, and at :44 it scans for new info from the printer manufacturer.

I haven't changed anything about my AV lately, I haven't installed anything apart from games, so I dont think they would cause it. No tune up software except updating it, but it's not run in background. 

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

ok.....so the printer is the culprit. It is totally unnecessary for it to scan for updates and info so often.

I am not all that familiar with the task scheduler options...but i think you can alter the frequency of the task....or disable it altogether.

If you can alter the frequency....once a month would be more than enough.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 daronmal

daronmal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

It says that the "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it."

I looked in my Services and found the Task Scheduler and it's running, but I also can't stop/start it or anything.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

Or.....depending on the particular set up, brand of printer etc etc...it may be possible to find a solution in the settings menu for the printer itself ......go to Start...'epson printer'....settings....etc

#7 daronmal

daronmal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

I uninstalled a program for my printer and it didnt do it this time but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Edit: Seems like it's fixed (fingers crossed). Thanks for the help! :)

Edited by daronmal, 03 July 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

Always a pleasure. !

if it does return (printer software is notoriously intrusive), give some thought to disabling the actual task in task manager.

If you want to stop a task from running for a certain period of time, you can disable the task. The task can be enabled at a later time so that it is allowed to run. For more information, see Enable a Task to Run.

To disable a task from running by using the Windows interface
  1. If Task Scheduler is not open, start Task Scheduler. For more information, see Start Task Scheduler.

2. Find and click the task folder in the console tree that contains the task you want to disable.

3. In the console window, click the task that you want to disable.

4. In the Actions pane, click Disable . The Disable command will only be available in the Actions pane if the task is enabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users