Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything running painfully slow, browsers and video buffering - Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Han2013

Han2013

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Hi there,

Not really sure what to make of this. A couple of weeks ago I thought I had a virus or malware and got some help here but the issues I was experiencing have just gotten worse.

Here's the topic/thread and I believe we went through all the possible fixes at the time:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579174/infected-with-trojanagentai-and-potentially-pupoptional-conduittbgen/?view=getnewpost

This is what's happening now:  Everything is delayed (typing, saving, starting browsers (Chrome or IE), youtube and any video I play either buffers and/or the audio and video aren't in sync. I tried to play an .avi file today on VLC media player that I've played before and it crashed or went crazy with delayed video to the audio each time. I have another old laptop that I tried it on and it was fine so it's not the video. I burned the video and tried it on both laptops and same thing happened although I was still opening it with VLC.

I've reset chrome, run malwarebytes premium and microsoft security essentials. Don't know for sure that it's not some sort of virus again but we tried that a couple of weeks ago. The issues I describe above existed then but now are getting much worse. Not really sure what to try next but I'm almost ready to smash it. 

Any assistance/guideance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

From your other thread

So my credit card has been compromised twice in the past 6 months and I assumed I had a keylogger which I was sure I got rid of. The first time it happened was last year in October and then again a couple of weeks ago and I've since not done any online shopping or banking.

Other people on the board may have other thoughts but personally if I had a computer with a possible keylogger I would backup any personal data and do a full factory reset. 

I don't know how you connect to your internet but I would reset the router and change the password for the router and also the WPA2 password if you connect wirelessly. Never connect with the WEP security protocol. That can be cracked in minutes. I would also disable remote access for the router. In other words the only way the router settings could be changed is if it was connected directly to your computer via Ethernet.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 July 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#3 Han2013

Han2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

Really? Do you think that's necessary since a keylogger wasn't found? I don't know for sure that's how my card was compromised. Are the symptoms I'm experiencing now indicative of a keylogger? 

I connect through a router wirelessly.I've not connected a computer directly ever. I'm not sure how to change the password and WPA2 pw. Should I contact my provider to walk me through that? It was all setup for me by them when it was installed.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

If you have never done this before than call your ISP. Your ISP should also have a support site. Are you connected through a Router/Modem? In other words, do you have only one box to connect through or do you have a separate modem and router, two boxes? 

I can't say if you are clean or not. But, how is it your credit card was compromised twice? By doing a clean install, that would eliminate one piece of the puzzle. 

#5 Han2013

Han2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

I just got a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error. Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE It says this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the app support team for mor info.

Not sure what this is...not Internet Explorer is it?

#6 Han2013

Han2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

I have one box. Yes, I see what you're saying. It's a just a lot of effort to have to reload all the software, drivers etc. Obviously if that's what I have to do I will. Appreciate your feedback. Should I be waiting for a site administrator to reply?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

Should I be waiting for a site administrator to reply?

In what way?

Call your ISP and ask how to reset the modem/router. Also ask them that you want to make sure that the modem/router is not able to be accessed remotely, only by direct connection. Also ask them if you are using WPA2 and not WEP. Also ask them how you can change the WPA2 password. 

If you need to go online and do a purchase, then use a linux live disk like Puppy linux. Download the iso file from here. You can burn the iso file by right clicking the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. Boot the burned disk. You will have a Wireless Wizard that will ask for your Wireless password. This may be on a sticker on your modem/router but I would call your ISP first and inquire about changing your Wireless password first. 

#8 Han2013

Han2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hi John,

Sorry, I've only posted here the one time. I thought I was supposed to wait for a bleeping computer administrator to provide a solution. Is that what you mean by "in what way?". Is that just when you post in the malware forum?

I will definitely call my isp to have that reset and figure out the pw change. Thank you for your help. Am I to wait for someone from the Response Team to reply or are you helping me with this?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

Yes, the admin here will not necessarily post a solution. There are BC Advisors that will reply if they think there is a better solution. I will help you if you have any issues after calling your ISP. 

The factory reset is only available if you have a restore partition that is intact. What is the make and model of your computer. If you post and do not here from me then give me a PM.

#10 Han2013

Han2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

OK, Thank you for clarifying. I will have to call my ISP in the morning.

I'm not clear on what you mean by having a restore partition that is intact. How do I know? It's an HP Pavilion dv7. I'll check back to see if you reply. 

If I can't reset it are you saying that there's no other way to try to resolve the issues I'm having now without doing a reset?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:12 PM

Right Click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

You should see a partition called Recovery or something similar. You can access it from within Windows or by tapping F11 at boot. You need to backup all your important data including any bookmarks, contacts, and email if you use an email client and not webmail. You data should be under the USERS directory.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

#12 Han2013

Han2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

OK I think I found it but I'm not doing this for sure am I?I tried to do a screen print and paste but it's not working here. I'm going to call my ISP first to change the settings and pw's?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

No, you will not be doing a factory reset. Call your ISP. Tell them you think you were hacked and you are inquiring on changing the wireless password. Also if WPA2 is enabled by default and that remote access to the router is denied. 

When you do a factory reset, you will not need to install drivers as that is part of the recovery partition. If you installed any programs after purchase make sure you have the serial key or license file so you can reinstall the program. This includes Microsoft Office if you have it.

#14 Han2013

Han2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

No, I'm not doing a reset at all or not until I've called my ISP? Sorry...in the first paragraph you're saying no and then in the second you're saying WHEN. Are you saying if I were to have to do one ever? Sorry but I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying.

If I have to do a reset, I have my Microsoft Office disks but I'm sure I don't still have all the keys or license files for everything I have on the laptop. This laptop is 5 years old. It would take quite a bit of time to get everything back to the way it is.

Is a reset absolutely my only option? I can't run any scans to determine if I have a keylogger and/or something else to fix the issues I'm having if it's not a keylogger? I'm not trying to be difficult but even if I back everything up I may not have everything I need after a reset and that wouldn't be good at the moment. I can't be without my files or laptop if something went wrong.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I meant do not do a factory reset before calling your ISP. As far as the reset goes, that would be your decision. I would help with that if you should decide to do it. 

How does the computer run when in Safemode with networking? You can do what is called a clean boot minus startup items. See this page. If the computer runs better then you can try and determine which program running at startup is causing the slowdown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users