Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed to Start, 0xc000000f

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Beserker9

Beserker9

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:15 PM

I have an HP Pavilion computer on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I will give you a rundown of everything that I did on it leading up to the occurance of the problem. I turned on my computer yesterday morning and it booted up to the login screen. I logged in and I'd left my computer to go something else while it opened my user. I came back 10 minutes later to find that it had not done so, and it was on a blank white screen. I waited for a bit more and I moved the mouse around and tried ctrl-alt-del before I turned it off by holding the power button, when none of those worked. I then turned it back on immediately and this time everything worked fine, it loaded up my user correctly and I browsed the internet. I then decided to jailbreak my ipod 5, so I downloaded the files I would need to do so. At that point I connected my ipod to the computer and opened iTunes, but it said it couldnt read it/connect to it. I assumed this was because the sync cable was not working properly, so I tried again and again until it could read it. I then closed iTunes and started it again only to get an error messsage saying that iTunes could not open due to some corrupt files and I had to reinstall iTunes to fix it or something along those lines. So I tried doing ctrl-alt-del and it gave me the five or so options and I chose windows task manager. Then I waited for a bit and it didn't show up, which is odd because it usually opened up pretty quickly. I then tried again and it still didn't work. I wanted to open Windows Task Manager because I was going to close the processes that belonged to iTunes, so I could try to open it again and if that didn't work, to uninstall iTunes, then reinstall. By this time, I had to run out to do some work so I left the computer on and when I came back around 5 hours later, the computer was still running. I tried to open iTunes again and it still showed me the same error from before, so I restarted the computer via the start menu. I also connected my printer to the computer and turned on the printer. This is when the big problems started happening. It began the restarting process but it didn't boot windows. Instead it shows a black screen that says
"Windows Error Recovery" and it says that "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change mght be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
3. Click repair your computer."

It says Status: 0xc000000f
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I have the option to press Enter to continue or Esc to exit. If I press Enter then it gives me the option to either Luanch Startup Repair or Start windows normally. Both of which lead back to the first black screen. So I googled the error/status code and I got results saying that I should use the windows install disc. So I popped in my disc and then I restarted my computer via the power button and I booted using the disc and I let Startup Repair run. It took a while but it said that it couldn't fix the computer automatically. And asked me if I wanted to send a diagnostic report. I checked the log and it said StartupRepairOffline. So I sent the diagnostic report then I rebooted to try again and this time it immediately said that Startup Repair couldn't automatically repair the computer. So I did some more googling and I found something that said that something may be wrong with my HDD and that I should run the checkdisk utility from the elevated command window available from the disk. So I typed in "chkdsk /r c:" which returned with nothing was wrong and it was pretty quick. Then I did it for the d: drive and this took quite a while, so I went to sleep while it did its thing. I woke up and when I checked up on it, it said that it had fixed some files. The link I had used told me to re-run the tool on that same disk should such a message pop up. So I ran it again and this time it returned with nothing was wrong. So I checked an e and f drive just in case and I got nothing on the e drive but the f drive said something that I can't recall at the moment but I remember that it was an error of some sort. I've also tried booting to the last known good configuration but that still returns me to the black screen. So now I turn to the experts on this forum for help. I appreciate any help that you are able to give me and I thank you in advance. I have an eMac computer that I can use to download files and other stuff to help you if need be.

I forgot to mention that I can't use system restore because it says that I don't have any restore points.

Edited by Beserker9, 03 July 2015 - 04:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

For some reason the system can't access a required device.  Most often this is your hard drive.

As such, please start by testing ALL hard drives using this link:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

FYI - chkdsk tests the file system on the hard drive, while the tests that I suggested will test the physical hard drive.

It's possible to pass chkdsk yet still have a failing hard drive.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Beserker9

Beserker9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

Hi usasma, thanks for answering. I have a quick question: can I use a bootable usb instead of a cd? Since I have an emac I don't have the means to burn to a disk at the moment. Or if you could provide some other means for me to run the program that you have stated above. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Beserker9, 04 July 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

Yes you can - but it's gonna require a bit of work to make a bootable USB hard drive test.

FWIW - I used to use YUMI (free here:  http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ )

Can't recall if it worked on hard drive diagnostics tho' - so it may take some experimentation.

I do recall that there were 2 options - to run entirely from memory or to run from the USB drive.

The USB drive one was slower, but was more reliable.

Good luck!

PS - I wanted to try one from this tool but haven't gotten around to it:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

And, I've heard good things about this tool (but haven't created a drive with it yet):  https://rufus.akeo.ie/

More suggestions at this Google search:  https://www.google.com/search?q=bootable+usb+from+iso&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Edited by usasma, 05 July 2015 - 01:57 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Beserker9

Beserker9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

I created a bootable usb using Win32DiskImager and I've successfully booted from it using another computer, but whenever I try to boot from mine, it says reeDOS with a blinking cursor after it. I've googled it and it doesn't return anything. Any ideas?

#6 Beserker9

Beserker9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

Alright, I was able to borrow a neighbour's computer. So I hooked up my HDD to their computer and I am running the tests right now. So far I've done the short test using SeaTools for DOS and that passed. Waiting to do the other tests. Will report back after they finish.

Edit: When I run the long test, it always freezes/stops at around 10% and there's theses little visual glitches that appear on the screen. So I've stopped trying to run the tests, since they aren't completing. I have however discovered that I am able to access the data on my HDD, so it seems that it just can't boot from it. Does this mean that the OS is corrupted or some such thing?

Edited by Beserker9, 07 July 2015 - 04:14 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:37 AM

As the test freezes when accessing the hard drive, it's most likely that the hard drive is beginning to die.

Backing up your data is crucial as there's no telling how long the drive will last before dying completely.

While OS corruption is a possibility, this really doesn't look like that sort of a situation to me.

Also, OS corruption isn't all that common - as Windows has a lot of built in protection mechanisms (and most times "OS corruption" is actually caused by 3rd party programs becoming corrupted).

But, if you'd like to test it, feel free to attempt to reinstall Windows on the old hard drive.

Once you've backed up your data, all you'll lose is time.

New hard drives cost $50 to $70 (US) for the most common size (500 gB) and they are easy to install.

3½" drives are used in desktop systems, and 2½" drives are used in laptops.

Edited by usasma, 07 July 2015 - 06:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users