Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I factory reset back to windows 7

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tyraid1234

Tyraid1234

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'm currently on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 and I want off of it. I don't have a blank disc to get windows iso on, I have discs but none of them are big enough. Is there anyway I can factory reset back to windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

I don't think so unless you made system image before installing Ubuntu.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:07 PM

"Is there anyway I can factory reset back to windows 7?"

--- This tells me the computer was originally Windows 7

At this time is the computer 100% Ubuntu and you cannot boot into Windows at all?

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

How did you install Ubuntu?

Did you install it alongside Windows? IE dual boot? Or did you wipe Windows and install Ubuntu?

Did you wipe the Windows recovery partition?

Can you please open terminal and run this.

sudo lsblk -l

Then copy n paste the output in your next reply. This will tell us what partitions are on the HDD.

The output should look something like this,

sda    8:0    0 238.5G  0 disk 
sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
sda2   8:2    0 230.1G  0 part /
sdb    8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
sdb1   8:17   0 931.5G  0 part 
sr0   11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  

Edited by NickAu, 03 July 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

How did you install Ubuntu?

Did you install it alongside Windows? IE dual boot? Or did you wipe Windows and install Ubuntu?

Did you wipe the Windows recovery partition?

Can you please open terminal and run this.

sudo lsblk -l

Then copy n paste the output in your next reply. This will tell us what partitions are on the HDD.

The output should look something like this,

sda    8:0    0 238.5G  0 disk 
sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
sda2   8:2    0 230.1G  0 part /
sdb    8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
sdb1   8:17   0 931.5G  0 part 
sr0   11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  

I am his cousin and i told him to refer to this site if he had questions after i helped him get ubuntu on his laptop. I did not do a dual boot, it is only ubuntu - there is no way to get back to windows 7 as of now on his computer. What he wants is to be able to somehow factory restore it back to windows while ubuntu or a copy of someone's windows 7 in iso form, whether it is starter or ultimate, i doubt he cares.

ooh, i have a signature

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

Do you know the 25-character product key of the originally installed Windows 7?

If you find a Windows 7 ISO, the 25-character product key will eventually be needed to activate it to avoid Windows Genuine Advantage notifications

If you find a Windows 7 ISO and you select a different version than the original install, an applicable 25-character product key will need to be purchased

You might want to inquire from the manufacturer how much it costs for a fresh install discs

#7 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:02 PM

Do you know the 25-character product key of the originally installed Windows 7?

If you find a Windows 7 ISO, the 25-character product key will eventually be needed to activate it to avoid Windows Genuine Advantage notifications

If you find a Windows 7 ISO and you select a different version than the original install, an applicable 25-character product key will need to be purchased

You might want to inquire from the manufacturer how much it costs for a fresh install discs

We do have the original product key give, as i noted all specs of his system, including that.

ooh, i have a signature

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

The above which starts a very long dowload and install process.

Plus:

Another thing to consider is do you have a full list of hardware that you'll need drivers for (graphics,sound etc...), your going to need those too.

Once your done dowloading and installing you'll also need to tighten up the default security assumptions here's one view of what needs doing, he's a bit tin foil but you can never be too safe.

While we're at it why go back to windows 7? You could consider an upgrade assuming your hardware will take the windows 8 experience. After all it won't be long before windows 7 starts to receive the same caustic reviews as windows xp started getting once its end of support notice was served. Ohh, look here it would appear that windows 7 is already in it's extended support period. The next time you wanna try some other OS be wise and dual boot it, that way you have a plan 'b' and it's less painfull to role back any changes ;)

I dual booted Fedroa for 2 years before I took the plunge, some times you need to be sure of something before you commit

#10 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:44 PM

um.......... does not work.

oh33fn.png

ooh, i have a signature

#11 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

also last time i called dell it took me 3 hours and 3 transfers, the last guy answered my question easily, the other 2 wasted my time and hardly spoke english

ooh, i have a signature

#12 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:44 AM

also last time i called dell it took me 3 hours and 3 transfers, the last guy answered my question easily, the other 2 wasted my time and hardly spoke english

That how M$ make their bucks, if the PC/Laptop manufacturer can't or won't sell you an installation medium then your only other option is to buy one yourself; Unfortunately you may struggle to buy a legitimate retail copy of Windows 7 and some versions of Windows 8, that is the capitalist model of business for you - driving you to the checkout. You'll need to buy a new copy of 8.1 from somewhere, check the status of OEM copies before you think your getting a bargain.

PS They're not cheap, and peculiarly as an aside when you click 'all windows' it shows you 8.1 and 10 but not 9. Didn't they do windows 9, or was that an unmitigated disaster?

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

If you are still interested in installing the original Windows 7 factory install and since you do know the correct product key check out http://www.restoredisks.com/. Call them if you think they van help you

#14 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

That how M$ make their bucks, if the PC/Laptop manufacturer can't or won't sell you an installation medium then your only other option is to buy one yourself; Unfortunately you may struggle to buy a legitimate retail copy of Windows 7 and some versions of Windows 8, that is the capitalist model of business for you - driving you to the checkout. You'll need to buy a new copy of 8.1 from somewhere, check the status of OEM copies before you think your getting a bargain.

PS They're not cheap, and peculiarly as an aside when you click 'all windows' it shows you 8.1 and 10 but not 9. Didn't they do windows 9, or was that an unmitigated disaster?

Went on the phone, after 3 hours they told me that the team that deals with this isn't in until monday so... we'll see what happens

ooh, i have a signature

#15 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

Went on the phone, after 3 hours they told me that the team that deals with this isn't in until monday so... we'll see what happens

Good luck with that, I hope it all goes well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users