Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intake Fan Blocked by Case?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

I have a Logisys CS368RB case and the pre-installed front intake fan seems to be in an odd spot. It's mount in the front bottom of the case, but it's behind the case itself. There is a small opening in the bottom of the case.

I'm wondering if this type of fan placement is common and if it will effect the fans intake capability?

Also, should I buy a fan to use as a side mounted intake, if the front fan is being compromised?

(Right now I have one 120mm exhaust fan in the top back and the pre-installed 120mm intake fan in the front.) 

Diagram of fan placement:

7Tnki0M.jpg

Actual Side View of Case:

11-148-062-08.jpg

Those tiny ridges on the front side of the case are not holes. I stuck a pen in there, it's solid plastic behind those. 

Edited by Lxno78, 03 July 2015 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

IMO...the position of the intake fan can vary...but having it at the front/down spot makes sense since warm air rises and that's the air that you want to exit via the PSU fan.

I don't get the reasoning behind bottom-mounted PSUs...every PSU I've ever had blows out and it makes no sense at all to me to have the cool air sucked out of the case.  But I don't know everything, so I suppose there is some validity that I'm just incapable of understanding.  In your case, it appears that you have an exhaust fan at the top, hopefully blowing out.

Any additional fans should complement this basic understanding, IMO, that warm air needs to leave the system and it rises naturally.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 July 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

This may not be the ' best ' design and hopefully there is a filter in front of the intake somewhere ( I didn't research this case ) If there IS an opening in the bottom as you stated so the fan is not fully deprived of 'fresh air' it just intakes the air from the bottom of the case (which is not a horrible idea as cooler air can normally be found in low spots) and then hopefully there is an exhaust fan out the back.  So what that the design in the front is just that.. design and not functional.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

Leave the side cover off and start it up you will be surprised with the air flow from that fan, many are setup to get air to the drives.  The bottom mounted PSU is found in many late model cases have it there they draw from inside and exhaust out the botton.  My Cougar case is like that, at first I thought it odd until I saw many others are setup that way.  Possibly to allow room for a water cooling setup up top.

Edited by OldPhil, 03 July 2015 - 01:37 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

Thank you all for the help. Just wanted to clarify.

I hope these diagrams are showing up:

m3twPde.jpg

The image I posted in the OP shows a pre-installed top exhaust fan. My case did not have a fan there, but instead had a fain in the front as an intake (the green in the diagram). I did add an exhaust fan top back. The PSU is in the bottom. I replaced mine with a Seasonic and the airflow of the PSU is shown in the diagram.

Should I add a side mounted intake? 

Asking about side mounted fan because still not certain if air flow is going to be that good from the front fan (although I suppose the fans create a pressure differential and air will be sucked in through the small opening in the front bottom of the case).

Again, thank you.

Edited by Lxno78, 03 July 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

This flow design is typical and ' NOT HORRIBLE ' you should not need a side case fan ' are you going to over clock?'  Do you have 8 Hard drives to put in this case?  If not then I would not worry about it.  The front fan is in front of the lower drive cages which will cool the Hard drives and force air out the back ... which is what you want.. I am not sure what the problem here is at all.

#7 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

Cool, I probably won't put the extra fan in then. I'm not going to overclock and I already have the intake and exhaust fans.

I am not sure what the problem here is at all.

I just found it odd that the front fan is behind solid plastic, whilst other cases have some sort of grating to allow air to more freely flow into the fan. The following cases all have the front fan visible through grating, or at least some sort of "air holes".

UC0kCOk.jpg

However my case, seen below:

JqvSDnj.jpg

Has a power button in front and solid plastic. The ridges on the sides are not holes. The fan is almost completely enclosed in the case with only a small hole on the bottom front.

Edited by Lxno78, 03 July 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

IMO there is air channeling inside to direct air.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users