Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which paid stand-alone firewall would you recommend for Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win XP Pro SP3.

For computer security I already have AV/AM: EAM, WinPatrol PLUS, HMP.A and Unchecky;

And my browser is Mozilla Firefox with WebOfTrust, AdBlockPlus and Ghostery.

For the past six years I used to have ESET Smart Security as my Anti-Virus and Firewall, but unfortunately it has eventually become a bit "faded" and now often at system start-up displays an error message: "Error communicating with Kernel". I have of course tried a repair installation, a manual uninstallation and a reinstallation in order to alleviate the problem, but sadly it keeps returning. As such, I have unwillingly stopped using it altogether. :(

I understand that I therefore need a paid stand-alone firewall, as any free such is not enough for my OS, hence my question is: Which paid stand-alone firewall would you recommend for Windows XP?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 04 July 2015 - 05:56 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

Or you can upgrade Emsisoft Anti-Malware to Emsisoft Internet Security which includes a firewall in addition to EAM's AV and AM capabilities. Just post on the Emsisoft Support Forum and someone will take care of it - no hassles at all.

Regarding the error... did you do a repair install for ESET Smart Security? Or for your OS?

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:51 AM

Hi again, Alexstrasza!

Thanks for the prompt and suggestive reply! :)

Yeah, I am aware of the option to upgrade EAM to EIS (which includes Online Armor firewall), however, this is just for temporary use for the upcoming couple of months until I buy myself a new computer, with Windows 10 Pro. On which I am planning to transfer the license of EAM to, and use Windows built-in Firewall, an OS as AFAIK, Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall unfortunately will not be compatible with, as stated in your topic here; Farewell, Emsisoft Online Armor. I am therefore concerned that my license might be "broken" this way, and BTW I bought a 3-year-long license for EAM, so I would really not risk losing it. :whistle:

I did a repair install for ESET Smart Security, not for my OS. :thumbup2:

So, do you have another alternative?

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 05 July 2015 - 06:07 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

Hi midimusicman79,

If one of the support staff handled the conversion of your EAM license to EIS then there is no need to worry. I see people asking for that all the time on the Emsisoft Support Forum, and no one has been disappointed.

Just to clarify, the firewall in EIS is not Online Armor - rather, it is a very powerful firewall created using the firewall core of Online Armor, and the rest of the code is handmade by the Emsisoft team.

When Emsisoft Internet Security is installed then it will turn off Windows Firewall, and you cannot interact with it. So there is no worry about it being incompatible with the Windows Firewall.

Standalone firewalls are becoming incredibly rare nowadays due to many users switching to the Windows Firewall, or use various suites containing their own firewalls. I do not like some of the remaining options for various reasons.

If you wish to use a standalone firewall, there is Private Firewall. There are also special apps to extend the functionalities of the Windows Firewall, such as TinyWall or Windows Firewall Control.

Regards,
Alex

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

Hi again, Alexstrasza!

Thanks for the clarification, I thought Emsisoft Online Armor was the same firewall as in EIS, sorry! :blink:

Anyways, I have decided to give PrivateFirewall a try. It seems trustworthy and feature-rich; plus it is even free! :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 05 July 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

You are welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users