Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB2952664 May be slowing your system down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

This more than likely has been covered before, had a super bad night which got me poking around my little laptop.  It was just restored and ran great once loaded but was taking longer than before the restore.  In process manager I found the culprit, multiple instances of WICAINVENTORY.EXE  Spent awhile going through the MS stuff only to find KB2952664 was the issue and was not needed by the system.  Removing it shaved about two minutes off the load time.  If you Google "KB2952664 issues"

you will come up with a page or two, it is a compatibility patch that can be removed from the system with -0- harm but in many cases a nice cut in load time.

It will reappear in your updates you can uncheck or go through removing, like I said it is a compatibility patch for 7 & 8.

Edited by OldPhil, 03 July 2015 - 08:30 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

It looks like it's one of the update that will be needed for the upgrade to Windows 10.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2907059/patch-management/microsoft-reissues-kb-2952664-win7-upgrade-pack-kb-2919355-win-81-update.html

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

Yes that is true but one can get it when needed why suffer?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:38 AM

Well, assuming this update is needed for the KB3035583 to install and work, I guess a lot of people must have it without any issues. I should have it on 2 of my VMs that I use frequently and they don't have that issue so I guess it affects certain system, not all of them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

They say it was botched and re released, it does not bother all who have it.  I will keep it off the little laptop until I go to 10.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

I know, I'm just saying that if a user have this KB installed and doesn't experience this issue, he doesn't need to uninstall it :)

unite_blue.png

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

100% agree reason for title, it does not effect all but for those that it does they can load it when needed for 10.  It only bothered my one laptop all others just fine with it.

Edited by OldPhil, 03 July 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#8 chaser

chaser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

Clearly the "aquisition" of this update has been less than normal.  I find that I now have 7 successful entries of KB2952664 showing under my update history, although it has finally appeared to "stick" and no longer arises from "Check for updates".  So far, I have not noticed any slow-down or other problem in operation.  Since it's my intention to defer downloading Windows 10 for a while after it becomes available, I'm hopeful my "wait and see" attitude may prove to be the correct policy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users