Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New graphics card, no video output

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rkpl45

rkpl45

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

Have tried to install new graphics card but it is not giving video output.

My computer is a Thinkcentre M58E, and the graphics card is a NVidia GeForce GT 640 2GB DX11.

When card is in, monitor provides no output. Have tried changing BIOS settings to PEG/PCI, this gives a black monitor screen. Same black screen when VGA is plugged into motherboard or graphics card. PCI/PEG setting also gives black screen, but motherboard fan turns very quickly and noisily. Have tried disabling integrated graphics on safe mode, with no difference. Also reset BIOS by removing CMOS battery, with no difference.

I can't download the driver from NVidia before card is installed; it will not go through with software installation unless it detects the card.

Have recently upgraded PSU to 400W, so there should be sufficient power to run graphics card. Card does not need connected to PSU.

Before this card, I tried fitting a NVidia GeForce GT 630 card, which gave the same issues. I presumed the card was at fault but after trying with new one, I think problem lies elsewhere.

Should add that my computer runs Windows 7 32-bit.

Edited by rkpl45, 03 July 2015 - 08:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

Looking here http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd003645 for your Thinkcentre M58E shows a 280 watt power supply. (scroll down to power supply section) And if you look here for your video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130795 it recommends at least a 350 watt or greater. I believe you may not have enough wattage to run that card. Also if it is a "small form factor" as the first link says then you may have a hard time getting a small form factor power supply that has enough wattage. Basically small form factor means the pc is a mini pc, just smaller than a regular sized desktop so the power supply and electronics are much smaller in size and capacity. You may be able to purchase a regular sized desktop case with a larger watt power supply and transfer the hardware from your thinkcentre to it.

#3 rkpl45

rkpl45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

QQQQ

I have the full-ATX size tower pc, with a recently installed 400W PSU.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rkpl45

rkpl45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

Here is the speccy log:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/pzYEUtZzYLhxU0BGOpRqZTR

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

Okay can you give us the model number of the power supply? I want to see if it has 20 amps on the 12 volt rail.

Also you can download the drivers before installing the card, look here http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/86503

Drivers are for Geforce 640 Windows 7 32bit.

Does your monitor work with the original onboard graphics port, what type connector is it and what type connector are you trying to use on the new card?

#7 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

I found this https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/PCI-Express-Video-Card-Problems/td-p/975677 but cant find anything out about a bios update.

I found here http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/tvsu-update where you can download thinkvantage which is supposed to update everything for you.

#8 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

cant find anything out about a bios update.

At provided info about the system I've found that BIOS version currently flashed is already the latest version available in the support section of Lenovo website. So I afraid there's no way to make this video card to be functioned on this system.

Edited by PeterMayson, 04 July 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#9 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

Power supply got upgraded. are ALL the plugins secure? i mean that separate 4 pin that goes to the mobo? it is ok, it is forgotten more often than you think, and that could explain the dud slot.

#10 rkpl45

rkpl45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

Okay can you give us the model number of the power supply? I want to see if it has 20 amps on the 12 volt rail.

Also you can download the drivers before installing the card, look here http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/86503

Drivers are for Geforce 640 Windows 7 32bit.

Does your monitor work with the original onboard graphics port, what type connector is it and what type connector are you trying to use on the new card?

The power supply model number is FSP400-60HLN. I have tried downloading the graphics card drivers from the NVidia website, but it cannot proceed with installation without first detecting the card. If I put the card in, the monitor does not display anything and therefore I cannot try and download the driver at that point either. It's a bit of a catch 22! Can't seem to find a way to manually install driver.

The onboard video card works, and it's a VGA and VGA (D-sub).

cant find anything out about a bios update.

At provided info about the system I've found that BIOS version currently flashed is already the latest version available in the support section of Lenovo website. So I afraid there's no way to make this video card to be functioned on this system.

Yes, I have tried updating to the latest version, and have to agree that this seems most likely conclusion.

Power supply got upgraded. are ALL the plugins secure? i mean that separate 4 pin that goes to the mobo? it is ok, it is forgotten more often than you think, and that could explain the dud slot.

All plugins are secure, including 4 pin for mobo. Don't think PSU is issue.

I have been looking on other forums for similar problems and it seems like my PC model has a record of being incompatible with certain video cards. It looks like the NVidia card I am trying is one of these that just doesn't match. If this is the case, is anyone able to recommend any other graphics cards that might perform similarly to the NVidia and be compatible with my system? 

#11 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

is anyone able to recommend any other graphics cards that might perform similarly to the NVidia and be compatible with my system?

Firstly, I'm so sorry about that. It's really sad when you got some device for your PC but it was incompatible with your system not because you selected the device that has different plug/socket than your system has but because the manufacturer didn't care about support of wide spectrum of devices.

I suggest to look for reviews of owners of the same PC model to get a list of videocards that confirmed to be working with. Or to make request to Lenovo's support.

Good luck!

#12 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

I would have to agree with PeterMayson on this, you will have to do some research on users with your hardware and what worked for them. May take a little time but totally worth it in the end. Good luck!!

#13 rkpl45

rkpl45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the support on this! I shall do some research into other options and hopefully get some results with a different card.

#14 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

you can try to get the motherboard to not remember that the card  was ever there, using safe mode to remove any drivers and forcing native windows drivers to utilize the card, then try to install older drivers a step back at a time. the newest drivers are not always going to be the ones that work

is the card putting out display in safe mode or the initial OEM splash screen and BIOS? if so then you have a shot at success if the card is showing up in device manager.

Edited by OptimusSemi-Prime, 06 July 2015 - 11:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users