Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing/inaccessible files on USB

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ajones2703

ajones2703

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hi Guy's

About 30% of the contents of a 1GB USB stick have vanished. I've transferred the contents that did not go missing (about 600mb) to my laptop. Properties shows that there is still 339mb of content on the USB but the two folders on there are empty.

I've tried the attrib -s -h /s /e *.*   command prompt without success. I've also run the check disk for errors tool and it said there were errors on the two folders in question saying "unrecoverable" and after I ran this test I'm left with the two folders saying they now have 16kb of information in each. Overall the properties section is still saying the USB has 339mb of data on it, none of which I can see or access! 

I have also tried this Attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:/*.* just now which has led to an empty file appearing on the USB titled FOUND.000

File system is FAT if that matters.

Anyone have any suggestions outside of the command prompt above and check disk feature?

Thank you

Edited by ajones2703, 03 July 2015 - 08:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Update guys. I've now got a list of recovered file fragments, amounting to the whole 339mb. I want to open them but am getting a warning sign  saying editing or modifying them could damage the system..... 

These are all MS Word files. I've tried changing the extension of 2 of the files to .docx but this didn't work and I got a message the files are corrupt. 

I wonder if there is anyway to retrieve this Word documents that now .CHK files 

Edited by ajones2703, 03 July 2015 - 08:48 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:15 AM

Take a look at this article. The file system was severly corrupted. I would work on copies of the chk files. Good Luck

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 July 2015 - 09:16 AM.

#4 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:15 AM

Have you tried to recover files with Recuva or Genie Timeline Professional ?

#5 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

Take a look at this article. The file system was severly corrupted. I would work on copies of the chk files. Good Luck

Thank you. This article came up from my Google searches and I took a look at it. It sounded like most of the recommendations were in working out what file extension the .chk file's originally were. I know they are .docx files, so I wasn't sure if it was worth trying any of the software the article recommends. I will take another look. 

Have you tried to recover files with Recuva or Genie Timeline Professional ?

I've tried Recuva. Is it only for recovering deleted files? As only the files (non corrupted/missing ones) I had transferred from USB to Laptop came up in the Recuva scan, it didn't find any of the files currently still languishing on the USB that are not accessible to me. 

I will try Genie Timeline now, thank you

#6 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

I'm having trouble navigating Genie Timeline as all I want to do is attempt to recover a document and I can't quite see the menu for this, will try and read up on how to facilitate Genie Timeline trying to recover a corrupted word document. 

#7 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

I've found this on internet it's called CHKmate so you can check it out : http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/chkmate.htm

#8 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:38 AM

I've found this on internet it's called CHKmate so you can check it out : http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/chkmate.htm

Thanks for this. Tried it, but didn't work. 

I'm still not able to access these USB files, if anyone has another suggestions I'd be really appreciative. 

Here's a summary of what's been tried so far

1. attrib -s -h /s /e *.* 
  2. Attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:/*.*
  3. CHK disk which has resulted in 339mb of missing files being found as .CHK, tried converting them to .doc but says files are corrupted (they are all Word files that are missing/unreadable)
  4. Recuva
  5. CHKmate

Edited by ajones2703, 04 July 2015 - 06:39 AM.

#9 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

.CHK files isn't a recovered files but only parts of those files that were damaged by disk errors.

So, as they are only contains partial information of original  files, it's unable to open them using the software it was created as the files are obviously corrupted as doesn't contains the complete data.

If all the files are Word documents, I'd suggest to try to look for the software that able to recover info from damaged .doc files. At least there's some chance to recover at least some info from those files.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:31 PM

Linux has dd and ddrescue they are good file recovery tools.

Edited by technonymous, 05 July 2015 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users