Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good deal on SSD 500gig drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

Newegg's todays blockbuster deal seems good: 500gig Sammy SSD at $178. 

I have a question....will a SATA3 drive connect to a regular SATA connector? That's all I have on my older motherboard. 

Link: SATA3

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

Yes .. SATA III designates it's throughput speed SATA III is 6GB/sec burst and SATA II is 3GB/sec burst while SATA or SATA I s only 1.5 GB/sec.  It should be backwards compatible and although is still going to be much faster than a regular Hard drive you will not see the gains as much as if you had SATA III capable controller on the motherboard.  That is a nice deal wish I would have waited a bit longer to build my son's new rig but I already have parts coming today. grrr.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

FWIW:  Newegg is not the only vendor making larger SSDs more buyable these days.  Looking through my spam-mail a few days ago, I saw ads from Tiger Direct and Amazon highlighting the same.

Louis

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

LOL Ham.. I typically do not browse my spam folder nor do I have the time.  (now I know where you go when your not responding to help issues)  (jk) ~ Yeah

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:15 PM

Thanks guys...sorry for the late reply, I was on a cruise boat on the Rhine River in Germany with hit & miss (mostly miss) satellite comm.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

Um...

On Amazon you can get even cheaper prices.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

Free shipping on Newegg. Pennies difference either way, and Newegg gives 30 day no questions asked return, usually they e-mail you a return postage sticker for shipping.

#8 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

Same, same. Well, maybe not the postage sticker bit.

Edited by gigapouch, 07 July 2015 - 10:36 AM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#9 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

I have had an experience of use a SATA II SSD drive on my old laptop that has only SATA I ports.

My laptop is Toshiba Qosmio G30-154. It has a CoreDuo T2100 Processor, 2 Gb of RAM and 2 bays for the SATA hard drives.

The system was running on Windows 7.

After I've replaced the system HDD with the SSD I was surprised I almost didn't see any improvements of the system's booting speed / response time of the system!

The boot speed was increased just little bit. If using HDD my laptop was booting in 2 minutes, with the SSD it was decreased to 1.5 minutes maybe.

I don't know is this because the CPU is slow enough (however, it has 2 cores and was able to run games without any issues), I don't think Windows is using so much of CPU power when it boots.

I think the issue was in low throughput of SATA I ports.

The same SSD on the desktop computer using SATA II port gave a huge performance improvement and really short boot-time.

I just want to warn that if such an old system will be upgraded with the new super-fast SSD it probably won't be seen any huge performance boost on the system. Maybe it will be worth to buy a PCI-E to SATA III adapter if the SSD is planned to be installed into a desktop computer.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE/?tag=pcgedit-20&ascsubtag=highendpc

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users