Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fionamay

fionamay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

hello all, my name is fiona and I'm getting ready to through my computer out the window, when I start everything goes well untill it just starts to open windows and then I get a blue screen which tells me to run chkdsk/f and to check for driver updates as Im just a semi begginer I do not know how to run this or how to get out of this screen, can someone PLEASE help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

Could you post the exact error message displayed?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 fionamay

fionamay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

It says run chkdsk/f disable anti viruses check for new driver updates and then it goes NTFS.SYS-address F9D8FF81 base at F9D40000 Date Stamp 41107eea, Stop 0x00000024, 0x001902FE, 0xFA2DF6DA,OXFAZDF3DO,OXF9D8FF81

#4 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:40 AM

why would she be getting a BSOD...thats odd

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

why would she be getting a BSOD...thats odd

Not really. Blue screens can happen for a variety of reasons. It seems that something ( a program ) is calling for info from the hard drive, but it cannot be found or 'served up' for some reason. Therefore you are getting the message that says to run chkdsk /f which will check the hard drive for problems and hopefully fix them.

Let me ask you a question, can you boot into safe mode? Try this: hit the F8 key on your keyboard while your computer is starting up. Hit that key about once a second. You should be presented with a black screen with white lettering that will give you a list of booting options. Safe Mode should be one of these options. Choose safe mode and let us know if the computer starts ok in safe mode. Then we will know where to go from here.

By the way, safe mode will work a little slower and look a little different than booting the computer regularly, so don't worry about that!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

Corruption in the NTFS file system or bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can induce this error. Corrupted SCSI and IDE drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, thus causing the error. One fix may be if you have the windows xp cd then try and run a chkdsk /r from recovery console. To do this just put the XP cd in the drive, restart the computer and look for a message on your screen during boot that says "press any key to boot to cd". As soon as you see this press a key. This will take a couple of min to load. When it does there will be an option that says to "press R for repair(using recovery console). Then you will be asked which instalation you would like to log onto. Put in 1 and press enter then enter again if you get prompted for an administrator password. once that is done type in this command "chkdsk /r" without the quotes and make sure there is a space between k and /. This will probley take about 45 min and will go up to the higher % completed then drop back down to 50% and will do this multiple times for each error on the drive.

Good Luck

#7 prince_dog

prince_dog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

My girlfriends laptop is having the same issue. I've tried to boot regularly, Last Good Config, Safe Mode and all get the same blue screen. The blue screen also appears once I try to enter the Recovery Console. Any ideas?

#8 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

If you are getting a blue screen when trying to enter recovery console then chances are good that it would be a hardware issue. Most time it will be if it does happen there

#9 prince_dog

prince_dog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:26 PM

That's pretty much what I figured. Oh well, time for a new one anyhow.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:33 AM

STOP: 0x00000024 NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
This Stop error indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to drives formatted with the NTFS file system. (A similar Stop message, 0x00000023, exists for the file allocation table [FAT16 or FAT32)] file systems.)

Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888

Run chkdsk /r to detect and resolve any file system structural damage.
make sure there is a space between the k and the /

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 August 2006 - 06:34 AM.

#11 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:03 PM

if there is a blue screen coming up when trying to enter recovery console then it is going to be kinda hard to run a chkdsk /r because that is where it has to be run from

#12 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

Sometimes the NTFS file structure can become corrupt in such a manner that it can no longer load. I've seen this before a couple of times. Even Recovery Console crashes (NTFS.sys blue screen).

The only way I have found to get around this a low-level fomat using a manufacturer's disk utility or deleting the partitions through FDISK and trying again.

Go here and download the Memtest86 3.2 Release and run it
http://www.memtest86.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users