Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows System Builder Disc Freezes In UEFI Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:12 AM

Hello,

My computer used to run Windows 8.1, however I didn't like it and I opted for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instead. I found Ubuntu to be too much of a hassle and bought a windows 7 system builder disc. I accidentally booted to legacy and installed windows 7 there. When I tried to use it I found that the environment looked like safe mode... the font and toolbar are really big, clicking on windows button brings up start button covering half my screen. Legacy mode does not recognize my wireless card eithee for some reason, as well so I cant get onto the internet.

I switched the boot mode to UEFI, and turned off safe boot (otherwise I get a security warning). The disc loads fine for the first 2-3 minutes after booting, but once the four coloured windows logo dissolves into four spinning stars it freezes. It has frozen at this spot every time I have tried to boot it. The system builder disc was previously brand new unopened, and I did manage to boot fine in legacy with it.

I have absolutely no idea what to do with this. I have been wrestling with Windows 8 and Ubuntu since I bought the computer and I thought a clean install would stop all of these problems. What do I do next? I'm feeling like this computer was not meant to be!

Computer: Acer Aspire V3 - 572PG 50S 1
FYI, I purchased the disc from Microsoft.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

I have done a lot of research on this and your System Builders disc is a gray market item, which should not be discussed on this forum. Instead, buy a real copy of Windows or install Linux Mint 17.2. Or go back to Windows 8.1 which is worlds better than Windows 7. Either way, do not mess with that gray market OS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=HxnlSLRQS1_

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

Call Microsoft and they will help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

I bought the system builder on someone else's advice. What do you mean that it is a gray area? Is it illegal?

#6 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

Also, I have been informed that it is possible to re install windows 8 from my computer (i accidentally deleted it when installing Ubuntu). Is this possible? I will call MS , but it would be nice to have some background info first haha.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

If the computer originally came with Windows 8 you can reinstall a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 here. On OEM computer's the key is embedded in firmware. The install should automatically pick up the key and install. Just make sure you pick the same version as what you originally had, Home or Pro.

A System Builders disk or OEM install disk is fine IMHO, especially if a person had an OS on the computer originally and for some reason could not be reinstalled due to a bad drive. You paid for an OS. But, if possible I would ask for a refund on the Windows 7 disk if it has never been activated. You should upgrade to Windows 10 when available. It is much better than Windows 8 and is a free upgrade.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 July 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#8 kevinbsmith14

kevinbsmith14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

Thanks again for the reply JohnC_21,

A google search has shown me that this problem is quite common. Apparently it has something to do with a lack of RAM? I'm not that tech savvy.. . I will try this method and restore Windows 8 back to my computer. I'm curious as to why Windows is not detecting the drivers for my wireless card. I opened control panel to view devices and my wireless card is present, but I'm getting a message saying "Drivers for this hardware are not installed, Code 28".

What is the difference between booting in Legacy vs UEFI? It seems strange that it will work in Legacy but not UEFI, I know this is true for booting Ubuntu 14.04, as well.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Legacy mode makes is possible to boot an OS like XP 32bit which does not support UEFI. Also when UEFI is enabled, the disk needs to be formatted as GPT as Windows cannot boot UEFI if the disk is not formatted as GPT.

You need UEFI if you want to enable SecureBoot. For a modern computer it is best to use UEFI and GPT especially if using Windows 8.

http://phoenixts.com/blog/uefi-vs-legacy-bios/

http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

Edit: As far as the wireless driver goes, clean install Windows 8.1 and if you still get a problem with the wireless driver post back. There may be a later one either on the manufacturers site or the OEM's support page.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2015 - 03:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users