Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Goes Back To Sleep If Woken Via Mouse Or Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:09 PM

I just started encountering the most bizarre issue i have ever seen with my computer. normally I wake up my computer from sleep mode by clicking the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard.

Now there is a common issue where changing power settings can cause the mouse and keyboard to not be able to wake up the computer but my issue is just plain bizarre.

Out of the blue my computer developed a strange bug where when I click the mouse or Press a key the computer will wake up from standby mode and than after a minute or so it will immediately go back into sleep mode and it will keep doing this repeatedly.

On the other hand if i press the power button the computer will wake up normally and stay on.

I am at my wits end i have checked my UEFI settings and sure enough USB mouse and keyboard is set to wake the computer and in device manager all the relevant drivers have the allow this device to wake the computer box checked.

So right now i need to figure out what is triggering the computer to go back into sleep mode when woken up by the keyboard/mouse but not when it is woken up with the power button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

[wild guess]

The mouse and random key are sending a double click.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

I cant imagine a double click would cause the computer to imediatly go back to sleep additionally if the keyboard/mouse were sticking and sending double keys it would be apparent when typing. also i normally put my computer to sleep by tapping the power button. if the power button was sticking than the computer would turn off instead of going to sleep as it would be the same as holding it down

Edited by mikeloeven, 03 July 2015 - 08:38 AM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

as I said - a wild guess

I've had 'sticky' keys on things before and they were not consistant.

Sorry

Dick E

#5 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

yes but what i am saying is that the computer will wake up and than go right back to sleep a stuck key will not do that.

i press say space bar when the computer is sleeping. it responds immediately boots up and than goes back to sleep. my keyboard does not even have a sleep button so it cannot be stuck also if there was a stuck sleep button the computer would go back to sleep even when i wake it using the power button but as stated in the OP the power button will wake up the computer normally. but baring the possibility of the non existent sleep button being stuck a double keystroke is physically incapable of resulting in this behavior.

Edited by mikeloeven, 04 July 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

I'd be thinking about a PSU issue myself...and replacing the current one with another for a short test.

Louis

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

mikeloeven,

I'm not suggesting a stuck key - that would present a whole different set of symptoms

Contacts can wear out or their components can weaken. We're talking imperfect machjines being made and used by imperfect people

Check out Louis' suggestion. He's been at this longer than I have and the wisdom of his experiences comes through clearly

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users