Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp pavilion a6400f upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

I have a hp pavilion a6400f and I was wondering what you think you would be best part to upgrade.

I really don't have tons of money to put into it though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:14 AM

Without specs it's difficult to give you any information; I assume that this is your computer.

The first question is what do you want to do with this computer? If you only run internet, business apps and e-mail, what you have is adequate. If you want to do some  online gaming, video editing, graphic creation (ie Photoshop, Coreldraw, etc.) what you have is inadequate. These retail computers, notably Dell and HP, are built for maximum profit, not performance. Yours has integrated video and sound, with a CPU that is not a powerhouse. They use 3rd party cheap motherboards that have low FSB speeds and that defeats you before you start. Most of the time the CPU, FSB and memory speeds do not match so there are bottlenecks that can't be resolved. Your money is better spent toward a serious performance machine and you won't get that in a big box retail store.

At this point there are only two things that you can do to increase performance a bit: 

1) increase the memory (RAM), Be sure to check out if you have an extra slot open, all your slots may be filled, and make sure you purchase the identical type and speed of memory.

2) Carefully analyze what you have loading on boot; if you purchased this retail, it probably came with a boatload of foistware and trialware and just, plain, garbageware that is still loading on boot. I remove it all the time off computers and it makes a huge performance boost once that junk is gone. These retail units such as HP, Dell, Acer, etc. also load their own, proprietary overlay utilities that are supposed to "help" you; all they do is force themselves on Windows' normal functions and slow it down, sometimes even interfering with operations. When cleaning a newly purchased computer I look for these and nuke all of them.

Really, don't spend a lot of money. You can't make a formula 1 Grand Prix machine out of a Volkswagon.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

There one thing to look into is Decrapifier which can be down loaded in the down load section of this site.  Ccleaner is helpful in getting rid of excess junk files, it is also in the down load section.  Another reasonably cheap item is an SSD hard drive well worth researching, also an SSD can be transferred to another machine at a later date so no $$ lost. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

So what you are saying is that I Hardware wise The hdd to posibly a ssd, and or the ram. by the way my ram slots are full.

#5 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

Oldphil Would the old hdd have to be replaced or could I just add  the ssd In with the hdd. 

As a slave drive i think is the name.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

When you buy an SSD it will come with transfer software, it will copy the the full contents of your drive.  If you wish you could then use the old drive as a data drive if needed.  I would do the SSD first only in the fact you that it may give you enough satisfaction to hold you until you can get a better system.  I would hold off on ram in the likelihood it would not fit the next system, you would see little benefit as you have 3g's already and your 32 bit system will only support 4G's.  IMO ram is a loser when looking forward!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users