Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crossfire or Upgrade to better Single Card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laimasta

laimasta

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hello, I am new to this type of stuff, and I am here to ask the experts and professionals out there for some advice, so many new games are about to come out this year including Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, etc and I am fairly certain that they will require my fairly good PC to have more firepower to run 60 fps on some awesome ultra settings. So here it is.

Q: Crossfire my R9 270X or upgrade to R9 285?

Q: If I upgrade to a R9 285, will it require a higher wattage compared to my 600 watt power supply?

SPECS: 

Processor 1 x AMD FX-6300 CPU (6x 3.50GHz/6MB L2 Cache)

Processor Cooling 1 x AVC K7127N Liquid CPU Cooling System 120mm Fan
Video Card 1 x AMD Radeon R9 270X - 2GB - Single Card
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 
Power Supply: 600 watt
Primary Hard Drive: 1 TB drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

Would need more information on the power supply. Need you to tell us the model number/brand or if you know what what the 12 volt rail(s) wattage, amperage, and all the connectors that are on those rails.

However I do not recommend cross firing. I myself own two Radeon HD 7950's in crossfire. Trust when I say the performance gain, in the games that support it (and that isn't a lot), is only about 40%. On top of that, the draw backs have been frame stuttering (like that random stutter you get when a open world game loads the next map chunk), terribly inconsistent slow frame times (makes 60fps feel like a weird 30), higher temperatures cross the board inside my PC, and not to mention the awful and mostly lack of optimized drivers for it. Drivers usually not coming out for newer titles until months after they're release.  Making one of your cards completely useless. On top of that the VRAM dosen't stack either, so even if you may have the horsepower to run something that require 3GB of VRAM or more- your're out of luck. 

The only reason to crossfire on any card that isn't a flagship, is if you can get a 2nd one for really cheap. Like you find a 270X for 60$ on ebay/craiglist that works. To the point of where it becomes a "why not" scenario.

The R9 285 all the way. If you could get a 4GB variant that'd be the best situation to be in as it'd let you run games (with reduced settings) internaly at 4k, making everything look supper smooth. Once you go 4k you don't go back. 

Direct X 12 will not support combined VRAM pooling despite some miss leading articles. It will let devs use multiple GPU's separately (and their respective VRAM) instead of making them copy things across both, but it does not pool it. One card can't access the others. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 laimasta

laimasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

Would need more information on the power supply. Need you to tell us the model number/brand or if you know what what the 12 volt rail(s) wattage, amperage, and all the connectors that are on those rails.

However I do not recommend cross firing. I myself own two Radeon HD 7950's in crossfire. Trust when I say the performance gain, in the games that support it (and that isn't a lot), is only about 40%. On top of that, the draw backs have been frame stuttering (like that random stutter you get when a open world game loads the next map chunk), terribly inconsistent slow frame times (makes 60fps feel like a weird 30), higher temperatures cross the board inside my PC, and not to mention the awful and mostly lack of optimized drivers for it. Drivers usually not coming out for newer titles until months after they're release.  Making one of your cards completely useless. On top of that the VRAM dosen't stack either, so even if you may have the horsepower to run something that require 3GB of VRAM or more- your're out of luck. 

The only reason to crossfire on any card that isn't a flagship, is if you can get a 2nd one for really cheap. Like you find a 270X for 60$ on ebay/craiglist that works. To the point of where it becomes a "why not" scenario.

The R9 285 all the way. If you could get a 4GB variant that'd be the best situation to be in as it'd let you run games (with reduced settings) internaly at 4k, making everything look supper smooth. Once you go 4k you don't go back. 

Direct X 12 will not support combined VRAM pooling despite some miss leading articles. It will let devs use multiple GPU's separately (and their respective VRAM) instead of making them copy things across both, but it does not pool it. One card can't access the others. 

Hey, first I would like to thank you for replying! I looked up my psu and it is discontinued but I have the model number it is HPG-600ST-F12S. I think I will be settling with upgrading to a R9 285 or higher, thanks for the advice! but if you have any info on my psu let me know! thanks!

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:59 PM

Hey, first I would like to thank you for replying! I looked up my psu and it is discontinued but I have the model number it is HPG-600ST-F12S. I think I will be settling with upgrading to a R9 285 or higher, thanks for the advice! but if you have any info on my psu let me know! thanks!

Assume it's the brand "Highpower" or whatever their OEM name is.  If it is, then it only has two 8 pin (6+2 pin) connectors. The R9 270x needs two 6 pins. Meaning the only GPU power connectors are being used up by your existing card.  If you got some adapters to turn each 8 pin connector into a two 8 pin connectors, then your PSU should be powerful enough to run both. As it stands though it won't work because of the lack of correct connectors. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 laimasta

laimasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

Assume it's the brand "Highpower" or whatever their OEM name is.  If it is, then it only has two 8 pin (6+2 pin) connectors. The R9 270x needs two 6 pins. Meaning the only GPU power connectors are being used up by your existing card.  If you got some adapters to turn each 8 pin connector into a two 8 pin connectors, then your PSU should be powerful enough to run both. As it stands though it won't work because of the lack of correct connectors. 

Thanks man, I am pretty comfortable with my options now thanks to your advice. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users