Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to be a computer technician, What should I do beyond this point?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 b.unique

b.unique

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

It's been two years since I've graduated high school. I know the basics of computers and how to repair them mostly. I am currently reading an A+ certification study guide, And in the next month I want to go take the A+ certification test. I want to have the a+ certification because I plan on moving up in the IT career. I am thinking about attending a trade/tech school in the next 3 months, but not sure if i should, because i have already have my A+ certification. Can someone give me some resources to know what to do next?  Do the IT schools offer Networking+, and Security+, and Microsoft certificates? I do plan on getting the networking and security certifications in the future. After obtaining the A+ Certification, Should I go out and get a computer repair tech job and move on from there? I really need some advice on this. I have a strong interest in repairing desktop, laptop computers, terminating viruses, and reinstalling windows, Building Desktops computers from scratch for this moment. I have good knowledge on windows 7 and 8. I want to be a computer repair technician, then move to Networking after I have some sufficient experience, working at a small computer repair company. If anybody could help me move on from my point, that would be terrific, thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

Hey,

Look for a local PC repair shop, offer to work there after you get your A+. Check out WGU it's an online University that runs through many certs while you get your B.S.

See the only issue with WGU is even though it's a great program, they require about 3 years in IT or at least a cert. Get your cert, go to school, while you work full/partime at a shop.

Start building your IT career from your home, repair and upgrade your own computer, setup your "test" environment on your desktop/laptop via VMware or VirtualBox.

You will learn more with the free time than you will at work, let your passion run through each interest you find online, don't limit yourself to one thing.

You might start on hardware now but you will eventually move into deeper areas of IT that bring in more money, although it all starts from home. Find what really interest you and learn it, break it and repeat.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

Working on computers professionally is different than working on computers for friends and family.

Once you have your A+ you can start applying for entry level jobs.  Technical schools aren't a good investment, in my opinion.  If you don't have receive an actual degree you can study on your own for much less money.  Look at the job ads, they want a degree, certifications, and experience.  You can get by with two of the three if you're good.

Are you open to working contract work, also known as temporary?  Contract work will get you experience and allow you to see how companies run their IT.  You'll learn best practices and things not to do.  I've turned two contract positions into full time and current working on doing so with a third.

I'm not a fan of certification, but they are a necessary evil if you want to get into IT these days.  I have my fair share, but haven't gotten a new one in a decade.  The main reason is that the information that you need to know for certification does not always apply to the actual job you are doing.

Do not stress about taking the A+, or any certification for that matter.  Certifications are pass / fail.  It doesn't matter if you get 0% or 1 point under passing you fail.  Just as getting the maximum score or the minimum passing score will certify you.  Like a degree, no one wants to know your score or GPA they just want you to have the paper.

If you fail the A+ I highly recommend the Transcender practice tests.  One you are getting 90% consistently you will pass the exam.  My method was to get an Exam Cram guide for the certification I was studying for and the Transcender practice tests.  I'd read the book and then take the tests until I was getting 90% on all of the test.  Then I'd schedule the exam.  Using this method I have passed every exam first time.

You'll notice that the exams with have triggers.  If you see word or phrase X in the question you should look for answer Y.

Bottom line, get your A+ and then work on getting a job to gain experience.  While you're looking for the job work on getting your Network+.  After you get your Network+ find out if you want to specialize in something specific: security, servers, Linux.  Remember in IT you can never stop learning.

Edited by Kilroy, 29 July 2015 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users