Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older notebook running slowly, trying to determine if it is virus or old age

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 trnsprt

trnsprt

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

My wife's Pavillion dv6000 has been running slowly recently. We have regularly run CC Cleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy, Malware bytes. We haven't found anything that stands out as a major problem. I cleaned the log files using CC Cleaner because CC Cleaner seemed to take an inordinate amount of time digging through them.

The hard drive shows that it is near maximum capacity but examining the files I can't determine what is filling the hard drive. We have moved all of her photos to a home server. She has a lot of music files, but it doesn't appear to be an unusual amount. Some programs take a long time to boot, others seem to boot immediately. But the same programs sometimes boot at different speeds, so it isn't the same result every time.

I don't have enough computer knowledge to determine whether the computer is slow because of the older age of the system or if we have a problem.

I would appreciate some help if anyone has the time to spare.

Thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

-Have you tried to defragement hard drives and uninstall unwanted / unneeded programs  and disabled startup items? You can also check hard drive for errors with HDTune just in case if you have bad hard drive.

#3 trnsprt

trnsprt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

I have removed unwanted programs and I did disable unecessary start up programs. I completely forgot to defrag. I will try that when I get back to the computer. I will also give the hd diagnostic a run and see what it says.

Thank You
Tom

#4 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

No problem. Make sure you have "Quick Scan" thick unchecked,it will take a while so please be patient. When it's done attach screenshot here so i can see it. If you don't know take screenshot you have PrtScr key and paste option for XP,for Vista and later you have Snipping Tool.

#5 trnsprt

trnsprt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

Hello:

It turns out I had the defrag set to run on a schedule. So it was defragging regularly. The program reports 0% fragmented.

A link to the screen shot of the hard drive diagnostic...http://i.imgur.com/hSYBram.png  

I forgot to mention in the original note that I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and i think it is the 64bit version. But cannot recall for sure.

#6 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

Ok HDTune test went fine. Anyway did you ever cleaned up dust because dust can be worst thing that slows down computer. You can also run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and send me logs but please note that i don't have rights to make you fixlist even though i have experience with that tool.

#7 trnsprt

trnsprt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

I have NOT cleaned the dust out of this thing. Very good point. I will try that this weekend and get back to you. Thank you for the recommendation.

I also found where my wife put Malwarebytes on some sort of active protection mode. I think that may also have been a problem. I have anticirus on her computer and I think both together may have been a conflict. Ive turned Malware bytes off of active protection.

Im going to see if it works better over the weekend and clean out the dust.

#8 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

Ok no problem :) Which antivirus is she using ? Anyway, if dust doesn't help, you can run FRST so i can see is there any infection present.

#9 trnsprt

trnsprt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

We run the free version of Avast by Alwil on the laptop.

#10 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

I had Avast! Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium and i had no conflicts at all. It's not Alwil anymore, now it's Avast! Software :) Are you using latest version ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users