Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Network Configuration

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:19 PM

Hello all,

I have a network printer here that has been working for a while now. The network printer is actually set up on a server and installed to local machines from that server. Yesterday, someone printed something, I'm not sure who, and something happen to where it's like it got stuck in the print queue. It kept printing the same page over and over (and nothing was in the print queue). We turned the printer off and back on again and after a few minutes, it began printing again. So I performed a factory reset on the printer. I forgot that would change the IP address. It grabbed our network's IP address (it was not the default 192.168.x.x). However, it is not the IP address that it should be. Unfortunately, this model (the make and model is listed below) does not have a screen on it. I thought, no worries, I'll just log on to the Web Services part of the printer and change the IP address that way. I opened my web browser, insert the IP address that the configuration page printed, but it's not connecting. It's like it didn't exist. All I need is suggestions on changing the IP address with this printer (that does not have a display screen). As long as I can change the IP address to what it should be, I'll be happy. I don't care how it's changed, as long as it's changed.

HP LaserJet Professional P1606dn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

See the manual page 29

Hopefully all you need to do is run through some setup prompts.  If not then the print server the printer is connected to may be assigning the printer an IP address and you may need to jump through some other hoops.

#3 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

The only thing I see in there is going through the Embedded Web Server with the IP address that's on the Configuration page and unfortunately, I cannot connect to that with the given IPv4 address. And we do not use IPv6 so there is no IPv6 address on the Configuration page.

Here is an update though: I just looked on the print server and the printer with this issue is saying that it's printing but there is absolutely nothing in the print queue for this printer.

I even tried creating another port on the print server and reinstall the printer on the port I just created using the IP address from the Configuration page and that didn't work either.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

Can you not connect to it because your putting in the wrong IP address?  Did you print a configuration page to see what the current IP address is set to as stated in the manual you connect to it using a browser on the print server and simply put in the IP address IPv4 and IPv6 shouldn't make a difference here I do not think.

#5 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

Yep. I printed a Configuration page which gave me the IPv4 address, which I then put in to an internet browser (Google Chrome AND Internet Explorer), both of which did not work. It just came up that the page could not be displayed.

PS - Sorry it took me a few days to respond (Independence Day being Saturday, I had Friday off as well).

#6 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Update: I plugged the printer's ethernet cable into my computer and used my computer as a relay for the printer. I used my computer network configuration (configured the IPv4 address) which changed the IP address of the printer. Unfortunately, the print job is obviously still stuck somewhere as the print jobs from before started printing again. So I was able to return the IP address of the printer back to what it was but the printer still spits out the print jobs from the original problem.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Someone needs to stop and start the Print Spooler on the server to clear the print job.

#8 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

Well, it was somewhat my fault. We have 2 terminal servers and a print server that the printer is installed on. The print server and our main terminal server had nothing for the printer. That secondary terminal server (which I didn't think to look at until today) was the one with the print job stuck.

I have been victim to user error! :(

I really appreciate everyone's help though! The printer seems to be working again.

#9 bytianzuo

bytianzuo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Someone needs to stop and start the Print Spooler on the server to clear the print job.7.gif

Edited by bytianzuo, 08 July 2015 - 09:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users