Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghost Files on Desktop Window 7

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 crhodesm

crhodesm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

I have a ghost file on my desktop.  Difficult to follow visual instructions to remove given on youtube.  Would prefer written step-by-step instructions.  Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hi crhodesm :)

Can you give us more details about that ghost file? What kind of file is it exactly? What's its extension? How did it end up on the Desktop? Etc.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 crhodesm

crhodesm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

It is a 0 bites file.  No extension.  Can't tell how it ended up on my desktop.  Was able to remove it months ago based upon info derived from various web sites.  But no longer able to do so.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

What's the name of the file? Is it an hidden and/or system file?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 crhodesm

crhodesm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

the file's name is:

logitech sn pn nos.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.. 

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Looks like a file related to a Logitech product or device. When you try to delete it normally, what error are you getting?

unite_blue.png

#7 crhodesm

crhodesm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Getting the following:

This is no longer located in C\Users\Charlie\Desktop.  Verify the items's location and try again.

logitech sn pn nos.

Type File

Size 0 bytes

Date modified 12/2/2014 4:12 PM

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

Click on the Windows Start Menu and enter cmd. From there, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator. Enter the following commands:

cd "%userprofile%\Desktop"
del /f /q "logitech sn pn nos."

Enter the exact filename in the del command.

Edited by Aura., 02 July 2015 - 06:35 PM.

unite_blue.png

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:00 PM

If Aura advice does not help to remove the file then you should run Chkdsk C: /f command to schedule next reboot NTFS file system error checking.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

Well if he's to do a chkdsk, might as well do chkdsk /r :P

unite_blue.png

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

Yes he can Aura but its usually corrupted NTFS file system cause un-deletable files, OP can try /F parameter first as it takes less time for error checking to finnish if /F parameter wont solve the problem OP then should also try the /R parameter with Chkdsk command.

- Dalai Lama

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

The /r switch has the same functionality as the /f switch, but the /r switch checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

If this is a SSD chkdsk /r should not be run.  If this is a SSD then chkdsk /f is the best option.

@FreeBooter

Please post information to substantiate your statement regarding chkdsk /r.  I know of situations where data has been lost running the /r switch, but have never heard anything regarding corruted NTFS files as the result of using the /r switch.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

The /r switch has the same functionality as the /f switch, but the /r switch checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

If this is a SSD chkdsk /r should not be run.  If this is a SSD then chkdsk /f is the best option.

@FreeBooter

Please post information to substantiate your statement regarding chkdsk /r.  I know of situations where data has been lost running the /r switch, but have never heard anything regarding corruted NTFS files as the result of using the /r switch.

I never stated runing /R parameter will corrupt NTFS file system i don't know why you thing i said such a amature thing as myself know what /R parameter does, it repairs file system errors and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information which means implies /F parameter as /F parameter only repair file system errors which takes less time to execute which is why i ask OP to execute first.

Edited by FreeBooter, 04 July 2015 - 11:53 PM.

- Dalai Lama

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

@FreeBooter

its usually corrupted NTFS file system cause un-deletable files

The portion of the quote in bold is what I'm asking about.

Edited by dc3, 05 July 2015 - 09:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 crhodesm

crhodesm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

Have used divfinst32 and this has solved the problem.  All other efforts didn't work.  Thanks to everyone who assisted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users