Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP local File transfer software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 realmatrix

realmatrix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

I frequently use the ftp file transfer function on ES explorer android to transfer large files between my pc and phone over the wifi network. I would like to do the same to transfer files between windows pcs , but to do so I have to setup folder sharing and change a few network settings which I want to avoid . Is there an application which provides the same convenience without changing network settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hi realmatrix :)

Have you ever tried FileZilla or WinSCP? Both are excellent and popular FTP-capable programs for Windows.

FileZilla - http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files/FileZilla_Client/3.11.0.2/FileZilla_3.11.0.2_win64-setup.exe/download?nowrap (This link doesn't contain a bundled installer)
WinSCP - https://winscp.net/eng/docs/start

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 realmatrix

realmatrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Yes, It involves setting up a client and a server..which is tedious especially if I want to transfer files between two laptops on the go on the same wifi network. ES explorer provides similar functionality at the press of button handling the server creation on an ad-hoc basis

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

Well, another easy way would be to create a shared folder (like you mentionned already) and just access it via your computer name or it's IP address like:

\\MY-FIRST-PC\

And then all the shared folders would be displayed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 realmatrix

realmatrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

Thanks.. I was able to setup share. I am little paranoid about security . If I enable file sharing , All pc's are on the same wifi network which connect to the internet. For security purpose I purposely set all windows pc's to be on a public network thus disabling file sharing. If I convert to home network and enable file sharing in the process. By any chance is it possible for some one to access my files using the public ip address.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

It's a possibility, but they would have to go throught your router's first if they are using your public IP address.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users