Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card, No Signal. PSU, Perhaps?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PresComm

PresComm

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:26 AM

For once, I am posting a request for help!

I am no hardware idiot, but I am not the 1337 gamer/overclocker, so on occasion I have moments that baffle me. I just purchased a moderately-powerful video card for a machine I am trying to resuscitate. i giddily installed it yesterday (took usual precautions such as static wrist strap, static pad on my workbench, etc.) and fired up my machine after removing my old video card (which works like a charm, but is just a bit underwhelming in power.) No output whatsoever. The machine powers on, I don't hear any POST beeps whatsoever, and no display. Very disheartening.

My first thought was, "PresComm, you dummy! You probably didn't check the power draw for this card and you don't have a beefy enough PSU to handle it." Turns out, I only had a 300W PSU in the machine, and the specs call for at minimum 400W PSU. I had a 400W PSU lying around that was the right form factor, so I installed it and tried again. Same issue. I removed everything but the bare essentials (the mobo and CPU connectors) to ensure I wasn't overshooting the PSU's capacity, but the same issue occurred. I assume that the card isn't drawing a full 400W. That would be crazy, right? The old PSU called for 75W, so a jump of 375W seems ridiculous.

From what I have read, once a video card gets powerful enough, there will typically be separate power connectors on the card itself (like a 6+2 setup) so that the card can draw directly from the PSU instead of the mobo. The card I purchased does not have this, so I assume it can't be that power hungry.

The problem that I have is my mobo does not have onboard video, so I can't install the card and then connect to onboard video to check BIOS or anything. I am troubleshooting somewhat blind here.

My most recent step was to remove the CMOS battery last night. I am going to reinsert it when I get home and test again to see if that helps. If not, I am running out of ideas. I'd hate to go buy a beefy power supply without knowing if it will actually solve my problem.

Only random thought I have hanging in my head is a Molex connector directly above the PCI-E slots that is labelled "PCI-E". Not sure if this is needed to supply extra power, but connecting to it didn't help at all.

Video card: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/xfx-one-r-series/xfx-one-r-series-deluxe-edition-on-xfx1-dlx2

Mobo: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2442#sp

PSU: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/Components/PowerSupplies/OCZ/OCZ400SXS-UK.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: I should note that my research last night drove me to the discovery that this card is likely a rebrand of the AMD Radeon HD 5450 (http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-PCI-Express-Video-ON-XFX1-DLX2/dp/B008N1DU8W). Comments from denizens of the Interweb state that this card typically draws around 220W. Just wanted to put that out there.

Edited by PresComm, 02 July 2015 - 09:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

WHAT? 220W? NO! That is absolutely INSANE for a non-external powered HTPC card! My R9 270X doesn't even draw 200W at load!

What I think it could be is a dead PCIE lane? Also make sure you didn't knock any wires loose from their sockets.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 PresComm

PresComm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

N00b, thanks for response.

The PCI-E lane isn't dead, because if I swap the old card back in, it works without issue. The new card in that same slot, though, does not produce output. CPU and case fans still spin, lights come on, etc. However, I don't get the usual single POST beep I get with the old card. I am really hoping they didn't send me a DOA card. I have had issues with XFX hardware in the past, but that was nigh 8 years ago. I was hoping they would have improved since then, given the better reviews of this card.

As far as cables, everything looks good. Like I said, swapping the old card back in brings the display back without issue.

Edited by PresComm, 02 July 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#4 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

N00b, thanks for response.

The PCI-E lane isn't dead, because if I swap the old card back in, it works without issue. The new card in that same slot, though, does not produce output. CPU and case fans still spin, lights come on, etc. However, I don't get the usual single POST beep I get with the old card. I am really hoping they didn't send me a DOA card. I have had issues with XFX hardware in the past, but that was nigh 8 years ago. I was hoping they would have improved since then, given the better reviews of this card.

Well given what you said and the fact you reset the BIOS, I think the GPU is bad because it almost sounds like the PC thinks it is working when it isn't.

#5 PresComm

PresComm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

I haven't had a chance to test since I removed the CMOS battery. It has been draining for more than half a day, so it is definitely drained. I will try when I am home again and, failing that or any other advice I may receive, I will simply claim it as DOA.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

The 4 pin power connector on the board SHOULD be plugged in with a power connector according to the manual.  Try installing the video card and pulling out the memory see if you get any POST beeps.  Put the memory back in (after you shut it down of course) and maybe that will kick the Bios into checking the required voltage for the video card again.

1. 1 24-pin ATX power connector
  2. 1 4-pin ATX 12V power connector <<< check this did not come lose
  3. 1 4-pin PCIE 12V power connector  <<<<<This should have a power connector plugged into it

#7 PresComm

PresComm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

YeahBleeping,

I have the 24 and 4-PIN ATX connectors, but not the 4-PIN PCI-E Molex connector connected. I will connect that connector, remove all of the extra power cables to other devices, remove the RAM, replace the CMOS battery, and boot.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by PresComm, 02 July 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#8 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

YeahBleeping,

I have the 24 and 4-PIN ATX connectors, but not the 4-PIN PCI-E Molex connector connected. I will connect that connector, remove all of the extra power cables to other devices, remove the RAM, replace the CMOS battery, and boot.

Thanks for the advice.

Wait, I thought you had plugged it in!! Thats your problem right there. When I said something came loose, I thought the molex connector came loose. I thought you said you weren't a hardware idiot, lol. Yeah, that will fix it if you plug it in.

Edited by TheN00bBuilder, 02 July 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#9 PresComm

PresComm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:52 PM

N00b,

Sorry, I should clarify. I did have it connected before. It didn't help. What I meant in my response to YeahBleeping is that I will reconnect it after replacing the CMOS and removing the RAM.

"Only random thought I have hanging in my head is a Molex connector directly above the PCI-E slots that is labelled "PCI-E". Not sure if this is needed to supply extra power, but connecting to it didn't help at all."

Yeah, definitely had all three of those major connectors connected last night. Didn't help. I will try again today after the mobo has drained and with RAM/excessive drive connections removed.

EDIT: And, for the record, it hasn't been connected for years with the old video card, and it worked without issue. It may have just pulled lower wattage, though.

Edited by PresComm, 02 July 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#10 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Ah, gotcha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users