Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone recognize this password manager?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flycaster

flycaster

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:44 AM

Lately within the last month or so, when a site on Firefox (with Noia Fox as my theme) asks for its password (I use Lastpass as my active PW mgr and Keepass as an inactive backup), I am also getting a drop down prompt asking if I want to save the PW. I don't recognize where this drop down is coming from. Also, I have run numerous virus/malware scans (at least once every 3-4 days) with negative results. Of course, I would like to disable this drop down. Here is a thread I started on the FF forum (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2943395) and here's a full screen capture with the drop down in the top middle...

PWM%20-%20Copy.jpg

Windows7 HP 64-bit, Firefox The Latest, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast

flycaster   Posts: 4 Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2015 - 09:25 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

That's the message from browser itself,i use LastPass as well and i always get that popup. But you can disable it if you wish.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

Hi flycaster :)

Like Firehouse said, this message comes from Mozilla Firefox itself, as it also have a "password manager" (which is insecure so I wouldn't use it). If you want to disable these prompts, follow the instructions in the link below.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/973240

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

Usually when you enter a password that isn't in Lastpass,it will give you prompt do you want to save it. I never used Firefox built-in password manager itself because i don't trust it.

#5 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the accurate replies.  It is interesting to note that when I posted on FF, no one recognized it.  However, at that time, I did check tools>options>security and the pw save boxes were not checked.  Thus I wrongly surmised that the dropdown prompt was not from FF - FF folks were right!  But looking at the boxes now, they were checked...very strange as I never intended to use FF's pw mgr???  The boxes are now unchecked, for sure.

Edited by flycaster, 02 July 2015 - 08:49 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

The password manager is enabled by default on Mozilla Firefox. So if you ever reset its settings to default, it'll be enabled.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

The password manager is enabled by default on Mozilla Firefox. So if you ever reset its settings to default, it'll be enabled.

This is most likely what has happened.  And even though I choose not to use FF's pw mgr, I am probably getting the pw prompt when I update FF as maybe the update also resets the pw mgr parameters???

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

It's probable that an update of the program reset that parameter, yes. It's not uncommon for this to happen.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users