Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance issues....and a curious file

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Agapelux

Agapelux

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

Hey guys,

I've been having some strange performance issues with my laptop for about a month now. I am experiencing constant lag spikes whenever I'm online, even when I only have one tab open. I'm even experiencing delays when opening Microsoft Word. For at least two weeks, I've scanned my system with just about every anti virus software I could think of. The all came up empty handed. I've had a tech savvy friend check things out, and he says he sees no signs of infection, and most likely my laptop is getting old, which may be the case.

Thing is, today when going through a troubleshoot wizard to search for any potential performance issues, I'm given a list of programs that are opened on startup, giving me the option to turn some or all of them off. Here is the list:

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver

HP Launch Box

IDT PC Audio

Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories

AMD USB 3.0 Device Detector

ESET Smart Security

iTunes

HP On Screen Display

HP CoolSense

(default)

HP Quick Launch

Raptr

Catalyst Control Center

Quicktime

What caught my eye was the file named (default). Every other file on this list shows a file location when I move the cursor over it. This file's location reads, "unknown".

Is this malware, or something else? If it is malware, how can I locate the file and remove it?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:24 AM

Which OS are you using ? If you're using 8.1/8 you have Startup tab in Task Manager open it,and if you see that file right click > Open File Location. For Windows 7 you have msconfig-startup.

#3 Agapelux

Agapelux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:02 AM

Sorry Firehouse. I'm using Windows 7. = )

#4 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

Ok try like this :

Click on Start,in search bar type msconfig and hit enter. When windows opens,go to startup,right click on that file and choose open file location. That's why i asked you which OS are you using.

#5 Agapelux

Agapelux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

Okay, looking under msconfig I see every other file I listed earlier except (default).

#6 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

Try to find that entry with Autoruns : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

#7 Agapelux

Agapelux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

Hmm....Okay, I see a program called SetDefault and it seems to have something to do with HP Launchbox. I'm confused as to why it would be labeled separate from HP Launchbox at startup...

#8 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:50 AM

Maybe it's a bug in the program,nothing to worry about then. If your computer running slowly,you can perform some maintenance e.g . Uninstall unneeded programs,defrag hard drive and clean junk files as well.

#9 jonnymac14150

jonnymac14150

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

Personally I would remove the Xbox accessories and iTunes from your startup menu unless you really need them running all the time. 

#10 Agapelux

Agapelux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the help!

#11 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

No problem :) BTW. All tools i mentioned above are built-in inside OS itself,but you can also use 3rd party programs if you wish (CCleaner would be best option).

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

You might want to read up on HP Notebook PCs - HP CoolSense Technology

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02638953

Personally I would uncheck everything in startups except Synaptics Pointing Device Driver & ESET Smart Security for the time being

--- Then I would run disk cleanup including cleanup system files at this point in time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users