Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Mate or Mint 17.2 Mate ?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

I have doubt between these two distros mentioned in title . I tried them both in VirtualBox and which one do you prefer ? I want clean Linux machine on weak hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:57 AM

How weak?

What are your PC specs?

#3 Firehouse

Firehouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:59 AM

Intel Core2Duo 2.8GHz

2GB RAM DDR2

80GB HDD (this is i want Linux)

Intel GMA 945

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:03 AM

I love Ubuntu, Others will disagree and say Mint is better, Mint is more Whinedoz like.

Your PC should run both just fine.

#5 Firehouse

Firehouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:05 AM

Thanks will try it. Is it possible to upgrade to recent Ubuntu distro (i have Mate 14.04 LTS on DVD)

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:10 AM

If you want 15.04 its easier to download the iso and install it.

I run Ubuntu 14.04.

#7 Firehouse

Firehouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:49 AM

Ok, thanks :)

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

Even better, run them both from a LiveDVD and keep testing them out, and test many more, as many as you can afford DVD's for LOL.  I think they will run a bit faster this way with you pc.  Also get a little more RAM if you can, I'm guessing that it will support 4gig.

You might want to run 17.1 instead, I don't know for sure but you might run into more issues with this new release still in RC? I don't know.  Read up on it, there are a few guys here trying it out the same as you, and they have experienced issues for reasons unknown to me.  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579873/i-just-installed-linux-mint-172-rafaela-mate/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573568/trying-to-get-ubuntu-on-windows-xp-laptop/#entry3683800

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

And, before you ditch windows (if that is what you are doing) you might want to get a nice Speccy readout of your pc here:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

You wont be able to do this with linux, but, will be able to do something similar with terminal commands in linux.

If you want, use this command while in linux LiveDVD for a nice output of your important pc info.  Copy Paste it so you don't get it wrong.

inxi -Fx

I am running LInux Mint KDE17.1 on a similar machine and it runs well for an old machine and I love it, mostly because I can customize it a little easier than the others I have tried.  Not that the others can't be customized, it just seemed easier in KDE.  Another similar to this would be Kubuntu KDE.

Here is the page of the current Mint versions

http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=23

Edited by pcpunk, 02 July 2015 - 10:36 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Firehouse

Firehouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

Thanks i will check it out :)

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

I am running Ubuntu Mate on my old Dell Inspiron 6000 with a Centrino processor and 2 gigs of RAM and it runs just fine.Mint 32 bit also runs well on it - but I wanted something different on my laptop- just a matter of choice I guess!

I would not recommend 17.2 as it is a Release Candidate and not stable. Go with 17.1 if you choose Mint- 17.2 completely locked up on me- FROZE! 

Edited by paul88ks, 02 July 2015 - 09:25 PM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:13 AM

Paul makes a great point above, and while the going is a bit tough enough for new Linux users, there's no need to add a Preview version that still has bugs on your back.

If going with Linux Mint, stick with 17.1, and probably MATE or XFCE, both runs well on 2GB RAM, speaking of which:

Intel Core2Duo 2.8GHz

2GB RAM DDR2

80GB HDD (this is i want Linux)

Intel GMA 945

That Intel Core2Duo 2.8GHz isn't a 'weak' CPU, I have the 3.0GHz (E8400) version in one of my desktops. How much RAM will that box hold? The reason why I ask, if this is a desktop, a 4GB RAM set is dirt cheap, I purchased this set for one of my older PC's & it runs great! I recommend it to anyone looking for a low cost RAM upgrade option. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5378J6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

If you computer holds 8GB, that gives you 6GB total for very low cost. I thought at first something was wrong because these sticks were so low profile, but they're running quite well, and has brought the RAM level WEI score to a 6.7 (Windows 7 Ultimate). BTW, it has 6GB total also, it did have 8GB, I moved all of those sticks to the one with the Intel Core2Duo 3.0GHz, to stuff the RAM to the max. I wished that I knew of these sticks before I purchased the others, they were $60 for a 4GB set. For $4 more, could have stuffed the PC to it's max with these sticks, they're indeed a good set. 

BTW, is this your CPU? If so, you have a heck of a cache on it in 6MB, that's just 2MB less than my L3 cache on my main desktop. There are many of these still in use, though some are stuck on Windows 7 as far as upgrades goes. all the more reason to be learning a Linux distro. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/35070/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8300-6M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

And even if this one, still not a pushover be any means, just a lowered cache. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/36500/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E7400-3M-Cache-2_80-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

The Core2Duo/Core2Quad series are still well sought after CPU's, even if they don't support the latest Windows, that doesn't matter to those whom are purchasing these. What does matter is though they use a bit more power, they're workhorse CPU's, designed to plow through work or demanding games. I do suggest at the price above, to upgrade your RAM if possible, you can always add a cheap SATA cable or some other low cost item in for free ship, or purchase two sets & max the board out if it holds 8GB & you want. I doubt you'll ever find a better deal on a 4GB set of DDR2 RAM anywhere, as the technology is being phased out. 

Unfortunately for notebook owners, DDR2 RAM is at all time high pricing, pcpunk can vouch for this, and so can I. Prices has doubled inside the last couple of months alone. This is because of high demand, and not a lot of inventory due to such. This is the time to upgrade your RAM, I've never seen a set at this price & likely won't again. 

This will allow you to run a 64 bit Linux install with ease, as there's one major difference between Windows & Linux, and note that this is only one of these. Windows constantly wants more RAM, no matter how much one installs, to a point, while Linux doesn't act in this manner. Much less overhead, as most users won't have an active AV installed (optional, but not necessary), the main things that uses RAM is the browsers, Firefox is shipped on most all Ubuntu based OS's by default (this includes Linux Mint, Zorin & others), many will want, and I recommend this, to have a 2nd browser installed. The most popular choice being Google Chrome, though there's Opera also, and Chromium (the open source browser that Google Chrome & Opera is built upon). Though most will want the branded version for the looks alone. 

There is also Skype for Linux, as well as Google Earth & others. So in essence, there's some choices available in Linux that you may already be running, no longer are we stuck with the leftovers that's been abandoned & picked up by Linux developers, after paying a fee to get the rights to use. 

Today's Linux desktop is much better than when I started in 2009, and had anyone told me then how far Linux would advance in the last 2-3 years, I'd never have believed them. 

You'll find that no matter which choice you go with (I run Linux Mint MATE 17.2 & have ran that OS for 6 years), you'll have a much easier road than some of us who has ran Linux for years, very much so. 

Firehouse, should you have further questions, feel free to ask, and one thing I want you to keep in mind. There are no 'dumb' questions here, we all were where you are at this very moment, and are more than happy to assist. Don't let yourself get frustrated, ask us, someone has been down the same highway & has the answer. Though please note that it may take a few hours to get a response, at any rate, someone will respond. 

:welcome: to the World of Linux! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Firehouse

Firehouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:56 AM

Thanks . I tried Ubuntu Mate in VirtualBox and i love it. Here parts are pretty expensive so i don't have money right now .

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:11 AM

Hey Firehouse  kako si, Gdje u Bosni i Hercegovini , Rođen sam u Hrvatskoj, već žive u Australiji.

Ok We better talk in English LOL.

#14 Firehouse

Firehouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:16 AM

Wow :D Northwest part of BiH . 4GB RAM is ~40 € .

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:25 AM

Wow :D Northwest part of BiH . 4GB RAM is ~40 €

I looked it up- it's only about 45 dollars- it's cheaper in Bosnia!

Edited by paul88ks, 04 July 2015 - 02:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users