Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxp Copy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 compulan

compulan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

I have a winxp computer on a network with a device used to make plots. The plot program on the winXp computer will format the data in binary format for the ploter. I need a way to send the binary data to the plotter without windows reformatting the data. I was using win98 and addressing the plotter through the lpt port. I would use the net print command to defind the plotter as a virtual lpt2 device and copy the binary file to the plotter. The command I used for win98 was "copy/b filename lpt2". I can't get the same command to work in winXP because windows doesn't support net print for the lpt port. Any help or suggestions would be very helpful. The binary file needs to be sent down the network (ethernet) without being modified by the windows drivers.

Thanks
Ron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:01 PM

The device that is used to make the plots, is it compatible with Windows XP? If not there may be no way of doing this for you. What is the application you are making the plots up with? One thing you might want to look into is sending the print job directly to the printer even if it means taking the device off the network.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

Are other computers using Windows XP on this network able to make the plotter operate?

#4 compulan

compulan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

The plots are generated on a winXp computer, using a program that was developed on a win98 computer. The win98 program works on the winXP computer and builds a bin file for the plotter, but I can't sent the file to the plotter. I can't just print the file to the plotter because the winXP print driver reformats the plot. I would like to just copy the file from the winXP computer to the plotter and I am at a lost as to how.

Again on the win98 computer I could copy the file to the plotter "copy/b filename ltp2" The ltp2 device was defined as the plotter. I can not defend the ltp2 port in winXP.

This is a large ethernet network with several winXP computers, printers.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:30 AM

Will one of the other XP computers work the plotter properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users