Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The User Profile Service service failed the logon.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 luineanna

luineanna

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:10 AM

Hi,

I'm unable to log into my Windows Vista laptop (Business, SP2). After I have entered my password at the login screen I get the message "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

I can get into safe mode (I tired to see if I could create a second user account but couldn't find it) and an information bubble at the bottom of the screen tells me that "Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with the default profile for the system. Please see the event log for details or contact your administrator." I can also access my files saved on the hard drive in safe mode. I don't have much other useful information to offer, unfortunately. The last time it was used would be about a couple of months ago for web browsing.

I have done some googling and possible fixes involve going into the registry or doing something with the hidden administrator  - not things I want to do blindly.

If anyone has any advice, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Microsoft says that a user profile can become corrupted if your antivirus software is scanning your PC while you try to log on, but it could also be caused by other things. A quick fix can be to restart your PC, but if this doesn’t work you’ll need to restart again and boot into Safe mode. Do this by pressing F8 before you see the Windows loading screen and choosing Safe Mode from the menu that appears.

Safe Mode logs you into the built-in Windows administrator account, but you might find that some options don’t work.

You can also follow my instructions from temporary user profile Windows will create and log you in when user profile can become corrupted.

WARNING: Some people have lost files by using method listed at Microsoft website, so create a backup of your hard disk, or just files you cannot afford to lose before trying anything which involves editing the Windows Registry. There are various programs which will allow you to make a copy of your entire disk, but you will need a second disk with sufficient capacity, and may even need a second PC or laptop in order to copy the disk (if you can't boot into Windows). You should also make a backup of the Registry itself from Safe Mode before you start.

You can access your personal files in corrupted user profile by navigating to Start Menu --> Computer --> Users directory and double click your user account profile directory that's corrupted to access your personal files which you copy to external storage device.

Follow instructions at Microsoft website to repair corrupted user profile.

You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error message

Edited by FreeBooter, 03 July 2015 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users