Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home wont complete boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geeksnotneededllc

geeksnotneededllc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

I have a dell Desktop that will show the bios and then will show one line flash but will not boot to windows. I tried using a recovery disk to repair it but when it get to the end where it should start to boot to complete the install i just get the same screen black. Any Suggestions? I am able to run the mini XP from Hiren CD.
Thanks Jeff :}

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:31 AM

When you say there was a one line flash, can you post what that line said? Tapping F12 at boot on a Dell will bring up the Diagnostic Menu. Run the Diagnostics to see if the problem is hardware related.

#3 geeksnotneededllc

geeksnotneededllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

No there is no diagnostic mode when I go into the boot menu also there is no diagnostic in the bios. It does not say anything that is what is so strange? 

Is there a way of checking the boot in dos?

Thank you!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

Do you have another computer with XP installed?

Edit: Hirens has a number of Hard Drive diagnostic tools. Look for Seatools for DOS and run the test. Is the drive okay. If the drive passes then try the following.

Edit: If you have another XP computer you can create a disk that will do a System Restore. If not then follow the instructions in this post.

Use Hiren's MiniXP to rename the Registry Hives and copy the Hives from your System Restore Folder. This assumes you have enabled System Restore.

Also see this page for some helpful image

Edit Edit: If the above does not work, we can try some other commands using a bootable System Recovery Console disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 July 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#5 geeksnotneededllc

geeksnotneededllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

Thanks I am just going to give up on this one. Thanks for your assistance! 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

No problem. Sorry I wasn't able to help with the problem. You could do a factory reset if you still have the recovery partition on the hard drive. You would need to backup any data first.

#7 geeksnotneededllc

geeksnotneededllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

No there is no recovery partition and found a Dell XP HP Recovery disk and when i tried to repair the operating system it would load all the files then would not complete the install. This is a friends computer and he has a program on it that he uses for his business and that why i could not just do a clean install. Thanks again for trying some time you just have give in.

Jeff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users