Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VMWare Player (Free) - a couple of questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bellzemos

Bellzemos

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

Hello!

I'm pretty new to virtualization and have a couple of questions, I hope you'll be able to help me get started with VMWare Playe Free.

1. How much of a performance boost will I get if I enable the hardware virtualization support in BIOS of my laptop? Would that have any (negative) impact whatsoever on my system when I'm NOT running VMWare Player?

2. When dedicating RAM for a virtual OS - is that only per session or constant? I have a 6 GB RAM laptop, will I "lose" 1 GB only when I'm running Windows XP in VMWare Player (if I dedicate 1 GB to XP) or will I always have only 5 GB available to my base OS (Windows 7)? Will I regain back that 1 GB when I quit the VMWare player? What about other resources (CPU, GPU etc.)?

3. Is there any performance impact on my laptop WHATSOEVER when VMWare Player is NOT running? I use my laptop for audio production so I'd need ALL available resources when I'm not playing with VMWare Player.

4. Can I install Apple OS-es in the Player? I know I can install Linux distributions and Windows. What about phone OS-es (like iOS and Android), are those supported too?

5. Can I load a pre-made system image into the Player and run it just as I would normally run it on my base system? I use Macrium Reflet Free for system imaging and backup.

6. Security - how secure is VMWare Player Free? If I get infected or change some settings, can this in any way reflect in the base system? Even hardcore stuff like rootkits or whatever there is?

Thank you for taking your time and helping me out, I really appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:55 AM

I mainly use VirtualBox but have some experience with VMWare Player...

1. If it's possible, enable. It only has advantages. No impact if VMWare Player isn't running.

2. No impact if VMWare Player isn't running.

3. No impact if VMWare Player isn't running.

4. You can install everything which is free (trial included) and everything for which you have a legal license (key).

5. If you can boot from it you can run it.

6. If you don't share folders, USB's, ... it is very safe. That said, nothing is 100 % safe these days.

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#3 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:46 AM

VMware officially doesn't support Mac OSX , but if you want you need to use Vmware Unlocker. Anyway VirtualBox is way better because it supports snapshots (for Vmware only Workstation supports snapshot feature),it shows you how much RAM can you give to VM. You have green,yellow and red bar (stick to green as recommended).

#4 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

1.+2.+3. OK, that sounds great. :)

4. What is VMWare Unlocker, is it legal, is it free? I'd like to go with VMWare, not Oracle.

5. I can boot from Windows PE ISO and then recover the image so I guess it should work. :)

6. What do you mean share USBs? And if I share a folder can I only get infected if I manually put malware in the folder and run it in my host OS? Or are there other breaches possible too?

Thank you very much for the help! :)

#5 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

Not sure is it "legal" , but you can try it .

#6 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

@ O.T.T. - I have another question for you since I see you know a lot about VPN. What free VPN service would you recommend for someone using VPN personally as connecting to email in an unsecure wireless environment (a bar for example). Which free VPN service would you say is the most secure, simple and all-around good? It has to be free though. Thank you! :)

#7 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

Not sure is it "legal" , but you can try it .

Thanx, I think I'll first learn the basics, running Windows and Linux in VMWare Player and then maybe later play with Mac OS X. :)

#8 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

About Android : I was running 4.4.2 r2 on Workstation without problems :)

#9 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

5. I can boot from Windows PE ISO and then recover the image so I guess it should work. :)

6. What do you mean share USBs? And if I share a folder can I only get infected if I manually put malware in the folder and run it in my host OS? Or are there other breaches possible too?

Thank you very much for the help! :)

5. Yes, just the same in a VM.

6. Example: CryptoLocker infects your VM and you share (read and write) a folder/usb on your main OS, that folder/USB is also going to be encrypted. Or if malware put his executable in this shared folder/USB and you run it or it auto-runs it can infect your main system.

@ O.T.T. - I have another question for you since I see you know a lot about VPN. What free VPN service would you recommend for someone using VPN personally as connecting to email in an unsecure wireless environment (a bar for example). Which free VPN service would you say is the most secure, simple and all-around good? It has to be free though. Thank you! :)

I personally find CyberGhost Free VPN very good as a free service !

My own reviews: VPN review CyberGhost Free VPN Video and VPN review CyberGhost Free VPN Blogpost

OTT

#10 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

Free CyberGhost has limitation up to 3h,so bear that in mind.

#11 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

After 3 hours your connection is reset, you can immediately reconnect again !

PS: We should stay on-topic...  :)

OTT

#12 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

Ok,my bad.

#13 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

I personally find CyberGhost Free VPN very good as a free service !

My own reviews: VPN review CyberGhost Free VPN Video and VPN review CyberGhost Free VPN Blogpost

OTT

I know I'm off topic but I'd like to know. In your review of the CyberGost Free VPN - what do you mean by waiting before connection? Do you have to wait before it connects? How long? And what about the ads, in what form do they appear? In the OS itself? Or in the web browser? Or in some other form? Is there any adware or spyware added to the program?

All I need to check my emails safely in a public caffee is the CyberGost Free VPN then? What if I'd like to establish my own VPN service, would that be possible by running another PC at home but with no additional costs? How would I go about it?

If it's forbidden to be so off topic, please answer me via PM. Thank you so much!

#14 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:16 AM

In the past I had a waiting time before connecting (1-2 min), in this test I had no such thing. Maybe CyberGhost does it only when there are many free users online ?

The ads are to promote the Premium (Plus) version, nothing else. They appear in the CG user interface and sometimes from the CG tray icon. In three hours you're going to see 1 or 2 ads, that's it. No adware or spyware, if you close CyberGhost you'll have no ads for its Premium (Plus) version.

And for setting up your own VPN server at home you better open a new topic !

OTT

#15 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

OK, thank you for all the info, I really appreciate it. So if I install and use CG that's all I need to tunnel through unsafe WiFi connection and safely log into my email account etc.? Or is there something else I shuld install/do? Thanx! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users