Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is Giving Me Problems After Closing Lid

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Milk

Orange Milk

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

Hey everyone,

I've had this Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5A-S0AUS laptop for a little over 3 years now. Just recently, however, I have these issues in that when I close the lid and the computer enters sleep or standby mode, it freezes upon opening. The mouse cursor still works, but I can't open any programs or internet pages. Sometimes the computer will freeze altogether. When I finally reset, I sometimes (not always) get the message: "The last attempt to resume the system from its revious location failed. Attempt to resume again?", to which I need to delete the restoration data.

This happened after I brought the laptop with me as a carryon on an airplane. I don't know what could be wrong with it, my Google searches to help remedy the problems don't seem to match exactly with what I have, so I'm hoping one of you experts can help me out.

Thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

probably a corrupt registry, ive known it to happen from time to time when one uses sleep mode regularly, Vista was really bad about that. Some people have some luck with registry cleaners, I however don't recommend them. I would try either using system restore to restore the system to a time before you started experiencing issues, or reformat/reinstall the OS, which is what I normally do in said case. There are other ways to fix it, but I find they often involve more work then its worth, backing everything up and reinstalling the OS is usually the easiest for me.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:27 PM

Install new version of the graphic card driver update if you already installed the latest version of the graphic card driver then it could be buggy install previous version of the graphic card driver.

Posted Image

#4 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

I've updated the graphics card driver as well as the processor driver., The issues are still present. Also, I don't think it makes a difference, but I actually have the NP700Z5A-S09US model of the laptop. I'll go ahead and try system restore soon and see if that helps.

Just wondering, but how would backing everything up and reinstalling the OS be easier than doing a system restore? I've never done either.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:47 AM

System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows the user to revert their computer's state (including system files, installed applications, Windows Registry, and system settings) to that of a previous point in time and date, which can be used to recover from system malfunctions or other problems.

Posted Image

#6 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

So when I try to open up System Restore, I get an error saying that System Protection is turned off.. Am I basically screwed/forced to reinstall the OS in this case? I have no recollection of turning off (or on) any system restore settings.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:08 AM

You can turn on System Restore by:

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
  3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
  4. Click OK.

Posted Image

#8 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

I'm not getting any check boxes, just links that say "To turn on system protection for a particular disk" and "To turn off system protection for a particular disk." The protection settings for my drives are all turned off, but I can turn them on by going into the configure settings. Not sure if this is what I need to do, though.

Also, not sure how relevant this is, but I have a C drive for my OS,and then a D drive for most of my files. Of course, some non OS files automatically save in the C drive, but I try to customize downloads to go into the D drive as much as I can (unless of course it's a driver update or something like that). I guess my concern would be not knowing which drive I should select to configure/restore, assuming I can still do so, which I am doubtful thanks to message that says System Protection is turned off.

So am I still able to restore my laptop?

#9 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:37 PM

Alright so I tried using Samsung's Recovery Solution 5, and I did a basic restore.. Thought it might have fixed something, but it seems to have deleted my entire data drive D:,but C: is okay. Is there any way I can recover this or am I sol? I kind of have 3 years' worth of university files on it..

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:16 PM

Alright so I tried using Samsung's Recovery Solution 5, and I did a basic restore.. Thought it might have fixed something, but it seems to have deleted my entire data drive D:,but C: is okay. Is there any way I can recover this or am I sol? I kind of have 3 years' worth of university files on it..

OMG, why didn't you let someone answer you 1st??!!  I was just about to tell you what to do until I read this last bit.

So, did you do a Factory Reset & the OS partition & the Data partition were on the same (one) HDD?  AND, now you say you can't see the D:\ Drive anywhere?  Nothing was backedup anywhere (first)?

If the answer to all the above queries is Yes AND no drives were specified when the Reset was done... you have reason to cry.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

First, you do not want to write anything to the drive. Pull the drive and put it in an external enclosure.

Getting any data back is probably slim and none but your best bet is to use TestDisk do a deep search for any partitions. You said you did a Basic Recovery and according to the Recovery Solution 5 manual that was supposed to retain all your personal data but obviously it overwrote the partition table and now your D: partition is gone. If the Recovery Solution did a quick format and not a full format during the recovery you may be able to get some files back. This also depends on the restore not overwriting your D partition.

Here is the TestDisk step by step. Highlight any partition it finds and press the P key. This will list any files if finds in the partition. You can copy the files by highlighting with the ":" key and then pressing upper case "C" to copy. The files will be copied to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. Do not try and write any partition table structure. Only copy the files.

If test disk did not find any partitions then use Easeus Data Recovery to Scan the drive. It may find some of your files. Good Luck.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

I'm not getting any check boxes, just links that say "To turn on system protection for a particular disk" and "To turn off system protection for a particular disk." The protection settings for my drives are all turned off, but I can turn them on by going into the configure settings. Not sure if this is what I need to do, though.

Also, not sure how relevant this is, but I have a C drive for my OS,and then a D drive for most of my files. Of course, some non OS files automatically save in the C drive, but I try to customize downloads to go into the D drive as much as I can (unless of course it's a driver update or something like that). I guess my concern would be not knowing which drive I should select to configure/restore, assuming I can still do so, which I am doubtful thanks to message that says System Protection is turned off.

So am I still able to restore my laptop?

Sorry i type it wrong you need to place a check mark on to "Turn on system protection" check box for C: partition. You can use portable version of the Recuva program to recover deleted files.

Posted Image

#13 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

OMG, why didn't you let someone answer you 1st??!!  I was just about to tell you what to do until I read this last bit.

So, did you do a Factory Reset & the OS partition & the Data partition were on the same (one) HDD?  AND, now you say you can't see the D:\ Drive anywhere?  Nothing was backedup anywhere (first)?

If the answer to all the above queries is Yes AND no drives were specified when the Reset was done... you have reason to cry.

If I wait too long for a response and then bump the thread, people will say I'm impatient. If I act too soon, they will say I should have waited for a response. There is no winning, but what is important is that this gets fixed soon.

Also, yesterday (before I saw these replies), I came across TestDisk. I apparently misinterpreted the wiki, and now my computer won't boot up at all. I get the "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." It wants a Windows installation disk, but the notebook never even came with one from what I remember. I'm in the process of finding a blank CD so I can burn a restore program to boot off of.

In the tutorial: 

• "If all partitions are listed and only in this case, confirm at Write with Enter, y and OK.

Now, the partitions are registered in the partition table."

--I thought that by recognizing the that D: drive was there, as well as my files (which were also there), I assumed that meant that "all the partitions" were listed. I now see this wasn't the case.. It was my fault for not knowing the terminology.

By the way, I read in the tutorial for Samsung Recovery basic restore that it would only affect Windows files in the C: drive, so I don't think I had reason to believe that it would have affected my data in drive D:

Edited by Orange Milk, 07 July 2015 - 12:49 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

Yes, you should not have written the partition table as that probably corrupted the Windows install partition you restored. Did you press the "P" key to see if all your files were listed in the "D" partition?  I would burn the iso of Parted Magic. Then use testdisk on the disk or remove the drive, put it in an enclosure, and use Testdisk for Windows.

For trying to recover the files with Parted Magic and test disk you will need an external hard drive to recover the data. If you decide to use Parted Magic post back.

#15 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

Yes, I used P, and I recognized most of the files as those found in the D: drive. I obviously didn't expect it to affect the C: drive.

Before I move one, I just want to get a clearer picture of what your saying I should do: So I should use the Windows recovery tool to bring C: back from the dead, and then afterwards use Parted Magic, which might be able to bring back D: ?

A side note: I have (or had..) a dual-booted computer. I cannot boot into the Ubuntu OS, which I have on my E: drive; I get the same error as I do when selecting Windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users