Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I totally screwed up a RAM upgrade and now WIn 7 won't start.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ralien

Ralien

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

I have an hp compaq elite 8100 running windows 7 and I switched out the RAM from 4GB to 16GB using four of these Kingston RAMS. At the start-up I was asked to press F1 to update the RAM. I did but Windows wouldn't start. I turned off and back on and went to the bios it showed a total of 16GB in two sets of 4GB but windows still wouldn't start. 

Here is where I put on my idiot hat. I thought well the cmos needs to forget it was 4GB so I opened the case and hit the yellow cmos button and started it up again. I don't know what that really did. A classic case of knowing just enough to be dangerous.

Now on start up the screen is black (normally blue) F-key options are at the bottom like normal and at the top left corner a counting number starts a 0mb works its way up to 3584mb and stops. just frozen there. 

What did I do?

Can I do it right?

Thanks,

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2015 - 02:53 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ralien

Ralien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

So I put the old RAM back in and it started up saying the RAM changed. It asked me to update it, I did, then update the time, I did. Windows restore asked to run but couldn't fix anything. Upon restart Windows started like normal.

Did I just buy the wrong RAM or install it incorrectly?

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:51 AM

Ralien,

Here a some 'rules of thumb' when replacing or adding RAM

1. Know what the maximum is a particular M/B will support
2. Sticks, except for size (GBs) must be the same type as the originals - DDR2 > DDR2 or DDR > DDR or DDR3 > DDR3
3. All sticks must match, same type & speed (there is , also, a speed # to them.
4. Sticks should go in as 'matched pairs'... 2x1GB or 4x 2GB, not 3 sticks & an odd # 2
5. They must be well & properly seated, in their slots.

#1 is important.

I trust the above helps a bit, maybe.

Edited by Drew1903, 02 July 2015 - 01:52 AM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

Please post your specs ti see if you system will support 16g.

Also did you use Kingstons ram check to see if you gut the correct ram?

Edited by OldPhil, 02 July 2015 - 06:19 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:23 AM

Phil,

This is why I said #1 was important.  I have an E-mail from you saying the machine's max is 4G RAM.  It being able to support as much as 16 had me wondering.  Cool you research it.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:26 AM

Lets see what the OP comes back with.

#7 Ralien

Ralien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

Thanks everybody I thought I had done all my homework but it's not working so... I understood it to be 64-bit and expandable to 16 GB RAM. I even looked at my ram and googled the numbers on it and chose what I thought would work. Specifically to Drew1903 and your checklist I contend that originally I did all of your list correctly so I immediately thought something else was wrong. I could just try again but as you said #1 is the important part. I didn't know about the Kingston ram check and will do that this evening. Poking around last night trying to get a better grasp of what was happening I confirmed specs in my properties, checked expand-ability via Crucial, and found an interesting review on amazon.The information is below: 

(I have written it out but also have an album of screen shots and pics)

Current working RAM (2 @ 2GB):

Elipda

2GB 2Rx8 PC3 10600U-9- 10-B0

(Sorry for potato quality in pic)

Also in response to the 64 v 32 when looking at the properties of my computer, they are:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz 3.33GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.87 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Looking to see what I should buy I ran a Crucial scan, they said: 

Your HP - Compaq 8100 Elite Buisness PC (CMT)

Maximum memory : 16384MB

Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)

(I realize I left out buisness PC in the name of my pc earlier [though I didn't actually know that]. Is this why you found conflicting 64 v 32-bit info?)

Crucial recommended:

4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON ECC 1.5V 512Meg x 64

(How close is that to what I bought? I'm fine buying this if it works)

Also looking back at Amazon I noticed a response to a review. It was from a Kingston rep stating:

"Some DDR3 systems that are three or more years old cannot communicate with high density 4GB memory modules properly."

(The pic of this is small, sorry, but could this be a factor?)

Thanks again for your assistance. I will be looking at this post a little bit this evening but will be out of town over the weekend. Meaning I might not get back to you until after the weekend.

Thanks again,

Edited by Ralien, 02 July 2015 - 12:11 PM.

#8 Ralien

Ralien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

Well it is a month later and I am trying to resolve this again. Anybody available? I also did what Old Phil asked, see above post for most info, and below for the Kingston info. 

Please post your specs ti see if you system will support 16g.

Also did you use Kingstons ram check to see if you gut the correct ram?

Basically Kingston said they had discontinued the RAM they make for my CPU. I'm assuming I just have too new of RAM even though the specs are a match. Thoughts?

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/discontinuedmodels/Default.aspx?DeviceType=2&Mfr=HEW&Line=Elite&Model=61514&Description=Kingston_for_HEW_Elite_HP/Compaq_-_Elite_8100_SFF/_Convt_Minitower

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:15 AM

Have you checked other ram makers?  Some must have the correct ram, also Kingston should refund you if it does not work.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

The Kingston DDR3 should work in that PC, and according to the specs it supports 4 x 4gb DIMMs.  Try booting with one 4gb stick in the black slot (slot #1), and try each one in turn.  If they all seem to work OK singly, try adding a second stick to slot #3 (i.e. the next but one along from the black slot).  If that works try adding all 4.

Make sure to power off the system fully and disconnect from power before adding or removing memory.  

Do not handle memory any more than necessary and only by the edge of the modules, rather than the chips themselves.

Discharge static from your body by touching a bare metal part of the case before handling any components.

The manual for the PC is here - http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetHTML.aspx?docname=c04287313  The section about supported memory and configurations is a few scrolls of the page down.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Ralien

Ralien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

I'm just going to return these and order the Crucial RAM, as they say it will work. I tried installing them one at a time and all I got for it was BSOD. 

Thanks for all the suggestions,

#12 Ralien

Ralien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:07 AM

Just a final update. I bought RAM from Crucial and it worked. Still uncertain why Kingston didn't work but glad something worked.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:49 AM

Ralien, I an't much of a Techie, but that RAM is not the same as what Crucial suggested.  You did a good job at just getting the right one as Crucial said!  And was a good guess for the first one you bought also.

PC3-10600 DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM SR x8.   Yours said 2R x8 Not SR x8, and it did not say CL9 ? that cheap Chinese stuff probably not labeled as it should be anyhow.

PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON ECC 1.5V 512Meg x 64 - The Crucial One.

Good you got it all going, I got some Crucial in my laptops also.

Edited by pcpunk, 26 August 2015 - 02:49 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users