Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Error FRST64

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WacoJohn

WacoJohn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

Exception EAccessViolation in module ERUNT.EXE at 00003A38.

Access violation at address 00403A38 in module 'ERUNT.EXE'.  Read of address 0076005D

on execution of frst64.exe.  According to the download site, this program needs to be run in SAFE MODE but only for XP.  I am running it from Windows 8.1-64 desktop.

I am only running it out of curiosity .. I see a lot of advice to NOT run utilities unless instructed to do so, but surely that can't apply to everything in BleepingComputer downloads.  I thought it would be OK to take a look at this, but alas, the error.

Anyone have comments about the error and if it is OK to run this just to see what it offers?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

Hi WacoJohn :)

Looks like FRST failed to execute ERUNT, which is what it uses to back-up the Registry.
Is FRST64.exe on your Desktop?
Did you right-click on it and select Run as Administrator?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Hi WacoJohn :)

Looks like FRST failed to execute ERUNT, which is what it uses to back-up the Registry.
Is FRST64.exe on your Desktop?
Did you right-click on it and select Run as Administrator?

Thought I did, but to be sure, I ran it again.  Same situation .. but different values:

Exception EAccessViolation in module ERUNT.EXE at 00003A62.

Access violation at address 00403A62 in module 'ERUNT.EXE'.  Read of address 00630066

Then, I decided it might be a corrupt d/l .. so I got it again, .. ran as admin, and got the same error ... same values as just above and thank you for the quick reply!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

Well, farbar will probably see this thread soon (or a Staff member) will PM him it so he can take a look. Meanwhile, follow the instructions below to clean your temp files and give it another try. If it doesn't work, wait for farbar :)

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC) and move it to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on the executable and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator;
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

Well, farbar will probably see this thread soon (or a Staff member) will PM him it so he can take a look. Meanwhile, follow the instructions below to clean your temp files and give it another try. If it doesn't work, wait for farbar :)

I have done as you instructed .. and will look forward to further support.  Thank you again.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

No problem, sorry that I can't be of much help either but you'll be in good hands soon :)

unite_blue.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

I have notified Farbar and provided a link to this topic.

BTW...TFC was last updated by OldTimer 6/23/12...that was version 3.1.9.0 which supported Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7. TFC has become outdated to some extent as the Windows operating system has continued to be updated with critical security patches. As time has passed, there have been more reports of various issues with running TFC to include unexpected freezing, hanging, unresponsiveness, etc. especially on newer operating systems so I would not recommend using it on Windows 8.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

I have notified Farbar and provided a link to this topic.

BTW...TFC was last updated by OldTimer 6/23/12...that was version 3.1.9.0 which supported Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7. TFC has become outdated to some extent as the Windows operating system has continued to be updated with critical security patches. As time has passed, there have been more reports of various issues with running TFC to include unexpected freezing, hanging, unresponsiveness, etc. especially on newer operating systems so I would not recommend using it on Windows 8.

Thank you .. immensely.  I ran TFC .. once.  Dunno if that is why or some other problem, but I cannot install some programs, .. now, .. cannot update some .. get 'the file you are trying to use is located on a network drive' errors.

I am a few steps away from doing a factory restore .. which will take me weeks to get back to normal.  However, I await the arrival of FARBER .. and thank you for your attention.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

Not a problem.

#10 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

perhaps a misunderstanding ... still waiting for help.  Factory Restore is a last resort.  Sorry for the confusion.  Hope to resolve without the restore.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

By not a problem, I meant I understood you wanted to wait until Farbar had a chance to your first post but that isn't related to your current issue. Erunt just backs ups all the registry hives.

Have you tried using Windows 8 System Restore to return to a previous point in time?

#12 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:48 PM

By not a problem, I meant I understood you wanted to wait until Farbar had a chance to your first post but that isn't related to your current issue. Erunt just backs ups all the registry hives.

Have you tried using Windows 8 System Restore to return to a previous point in time?

Very good question.  I have not attempted W system restore .. there are reasons which I won't go into, that make that a poor choice.  Here is one of 'em ... I indeed have had a number of problems .. BUT, I found out why ... and have corrected ... they were procedural mostly.  That means most if not all problems are resolved .. except the ERUNT problem so would like to hear from Farbar on that .. before taking 'drastic' steps .. if you get what I mean.

Thank you so much for your attention.  I really appreciate it.

Edited by WacoJohn, 02 July 2015 - 11:15 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

Glad to hear most of the other issues have been resolved.

Farbar has advised after numerous attempts he has not been able to reproduce the error. If there are further reports from others and we get more information, I will let you know. In the meantime, since the error is only related to ERUNT, you can ignore it when trying to run FRST.

#14 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

Glad to hear most of the other issues have been resolved.

Farbar has advised after numerous attempts he has not been able to reproduce the error. If there are further reports from others and we get more information, I will let you know. In the meantime, since the error is only related to ERUNT, you can ignore it when trying to run FRST.

Fair enough.  Let us then close this thread .. it is not based on the actual problem (ERUNT).  Thanks to everyone for the attention and help.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

In the future if you want, there's other programs that can be used to back-up the Registry, like Tweaking.com Registry Back-up (which works on newer version of Windows) so you could always use that instead :)

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users